Deadline: December 1, 2017
The Asian Development Bank – Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) is open for applications. The ADB-JSP provides funding support for graduate students to participate in residential, educational and leadership development programs at the East-West Center while pursuing graduate study in ADB-approved fields of study at the University of Hawai‘i.
The ADB-JSP was established to encourage and strengthen human resource development in ADB’s developing member countries. After completing their studies, scholars are expected to return to their home countries to apply and share their new knowledge and skills to promote socioeconomic development.
- Be a citizen of a developing member country of the Asian Development Bank.
- Have a 4-year bachelor’s degree or the equivalent of a 4-year Bachelor’s degree, at the time of application. (An equivalent could be a 3-year Bachelor’s degree plus a 1-year Master’s degree, or a 2-year bachelor’s degree plus a 2-year Master’s degree. This is subject to review.)
- Have at least 2 years of full-time professional work experience after a university degree.
- Take one of the English proficiency tests; the minimum acceptable scores are 550 for the paper-based TOEFL; 213 for the computer-based TOEFL; and 79-80 for the internet-based TOEFL; or 6.5 for the IELTS.
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his/her home country are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Individuals with the following experience are not eligible for the ADB-JSP Scholarship:
- They are living or working in a country other than his/her home country
- They have have already studied abroad, or may be seeking a second graduate degree
Areas of Study and Required Standardized Test Scores:
- Business Administration (Global MBA) — GMAT and TOEFL or IELTS
- Business Administration (Global MBA – Japan Track) — GMAT and TOEFL or IELTS
- Economics (MA) — GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Geography (MA) — GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Law (LLM Degree, a one-year program) — TOEFL or IELTS
- Natural Resources and Environmental Management (MS) — GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Ocean and Resources Engineering (MS) — GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Oceanography (MS) — GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Pacific Islands Studies (MA) — TOEFL or IELTS
- Public Administration (MPA) — TOEFL or IELTS
- Sociology (MA) — GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences (MS) — GRE and TOEFL or IELTS
- Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) — TOEFL or IELTS
Check the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa website for details about the programs and areas of study listed above.
Carefully review the ADB-JSP Overview and Application Information document before beginning the application process.
Please see below for the application materials.
- Steps for Submitting an Acceptable ADB-JSP application [pdf]
- Overview and Application Information [pdf]
- Application Checklist [pdf]
- Application Form Instructions [pdf]
- Application Form [pdf]
- Cover Letter and Essays [pdf]
- Letter of Reference Form (Academic or Professional) & Instructions [pdf]
- Letter of Reference Form (Civic Engagement) & Instructions [pdf]
- Verification of Funds [pdf] – provide only if you also want to be considered for the East-West Center Graduate Degree Fellowship
Applying for a Masters Degree
A separate application (including all required supporting documents) must be submitted to the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa for admission into a Master’s degree program. Information and instructions on all application requirements for master’s degree programs can be found at the UHM Office of Graduate Education website. Do not use the standard UHM Graduate Admissions Application Form if you are seeking admission to a Global MBA Business Program or the LLM Law Program. The application forms for these fields must be obtained from the respective program.
For more information, visit ADB – Japan Scholarship Program.