SCHEMA/Think City THRIVE: Connect Photo Contest & Exhibition 2017
Deadline: December 15, 2017
Entries are invited for the SCHEMA/Think City THRIVE: Connect Photo Contest & Exhibition. The photo contest asks you to find and capture SDG linkages in Malaysian cities. Photographs of high aesthetic quality in terms of both image composition and in the use of the medium that highlight connections between SDG 11 on sustainable cities and communities and any other SDG are sought for. For example, your picture might show the links between urbanization and clean food or water, decent work, or climate change in Malaysian cities.
These photos will be used to tell a story about how critical connections are to healthy, sustainable communities, and how recognizing them will help us achieve the SDGs. Help the organizers see the connections you see between SDG 11 and the other SDGs. Take a look at the SDGs, and get snapping!
- Ten winning pictures will be featured in a new publication, THRIVE: Connect, a follow-up to THRIVE: 2 and THRIVE: Global, which used art to show new perspectives on urban health;
- Winning photos will also be featured at the 9th World Urban Forum, the major United Nations event focusing on cities, which will be held in Kuala Lumpur in February 2018, and at an exclusive Think City exhibition at RUANG;
- Submitted photos will also be highlighted on social media and on the www.thriverurban.info.
- This contest is open to photographers of all ages, backgrounds and experience levels;
- All photographs must be taken in a Malaysian city;
- Submissions must be original, unpublished work by the photographer and must not infringe upon any copyright laws. The submitter must be the sole author of all entries and hold full rights to them;
- Photos that have won awards in other competitions or that have been previously published are not eligible for submission.
Entries will be judged based on the following:
- Relevance: Do the picture and caption effectively illustrate a linkage between SDG11 and another SDG in a Malaysian city?
- Creativity/aesthetics: Is the theme expressed in an insightful way? Do the photo and caption capture an interesting viewpoint, demonstrate originality, or have unique aesthetic merit?
- You can submit your photo directly to [email protected] or using this submission form. The deadline for submissions is December 15. Each entrant may submit up to three photos.
- If submitting by e-mail, please include the following information:
- Attached photo(s): Submitted photos must be in in high resolution digital format (JPEG), and between 2000 and 6000 pixels in the longest dimension. Please limit images to a maximum file size of 20MB.
- For each photograph entered, please supply:
- Title: [give each photo a relevant title]
- SDGs: [tell which Sustainable Development Goal(s) your photo to which your photograph refers]
- Caption: [tell how your photo captures an SDG connection in 50 words or fewer]
- City: [In what city was your photo taken?]
- Your Name:
- Age: [for those under 18, please include parent’s name and sign and attach the separate consent form]
- Phone Number:
- E-mail address:
- Social media handles: [optional] [they will use these to promote your photo(s)]
For more information, visit SCHEMA/Think City THRIVE: Connect Photo Contest.