Deadline: Rolling Basis
Applications for the Breakthrough Research Fellowship 2018 are now open. Each year, Breakthrough seeks a small number of outstanding researchers and writers for the Breakthrough Research Fellowship. Fellows will submit a research proposal aligned with Breakthrough’s interest areas, and work on their project remotely. See below for more information on how to apply.
The Breakthrough Research Fellowships are awarded to non-resident research collaborators with the Breakthrough Institute’s research program. Launched in 2016, the program offers opportunities to the brightest and most talented thinkers to address unanswered questions related to energy, conservation, agriculture, growth, and innovation, and to change the way society approaches major environmental and development challenges.
Scholars with experience ranging from a Master’s degree to a postdoctoral appointment to a senior professorship may apply. These paid fellowships, completed in collaboration with research staff, advance Breakthrough’s research and reach, fostering partnerships with experts around the world at the cutting-edge of scholarship in these spaces.
- Research Fellowships will be completed remotely and are designed to last 2-6 months.
- Research Fellows are also invited to attend the Breakthrough Dialogue which takes place every June in Sausalito, California. If you have a scheduling conflict with these dates, please do not be discouraged from applying.
The Research Fellowship runs for 8 weeks and pays in installments, totaling $5,000 over the course of the Fellowship.
- Applicants interested in the Research Fellowship should possess a Master’s degree at minimum and have a well-scoped research proposal.
- Excellent proposals will define goals, methods, and align with Breakthrough’s interest areas and their mission statement.
If you think your research can contribute to or deepen an eco-modern understanding of society and the environment, then this is an opportunity for you.
- Apply using the online application form found here or at the bottom of this page.
- You will need to submit a CV/resume, a research proposal, and 1-3 three writing samples. All uploaded documents must be in PDF format. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Contact Breakthrough staff with any questions and concerns: fellowships [at]thebreakthrough.org.
For more information, visit Breakthrough Research Fellowship.