AFRIKA KOMMT Fellowship For Future Leaders from Sub-Saharan Africa 2018 (Fully-Funded to Germany)
Deadline: January 19, 2018
Calling future leaders of Africa! Applications are now open for the AFRIKA KOMMT, an initiative of German Industry for Future Leaders from Sub-Saharan Afrika 2018 – 2020. The programme trains young, future managers from Sub-Saharan Africa on-site with German companies, while forming stable cooperative partnerships for the future.
At the heart of the AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme is an eight-months practical training in a leading German enterprise benefiting both, fellows and partner companies – a classic win-win situation. The programme fellows benefit as well as the partner companies. After five completed programme years, a significant number of the participants now work in the branch office of their respective partner company in Africa.
Financed by the German partner companies, the capacity development programme AFRIKA KOMMT! consists of the following key components:
- One-month individual German language preparation course
- One-year stay in Germany comprising of:
- Two-months intensive German language course
- Eight-months internship in a German partner company
- Three one-week training modules on international management and leadership competencies
- One-week study tour in Germany on relevant subjects, e.g. “Digital Change”
- Weekend seminars on cultural and social subjects organised by the Robert Bosch Stiftung in Stuttgart and the ZEIT-Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius in Hamburg
- Cultural weekend activities organised by GIZ
- Transfer phase after the stay in Germany via GIZ’s online platform Global Campus 21 and integration into the AFRIKA KOMMT! Alumni Network and its regional Alumni Clubs
- Refresher course in Germany or Africa, approx. 6-12 months after the stay in Germany, offering the former fellows to extend their networks with other alumni and to mutually benefit from their experiences.
After the one-year stay in Germany, all candidates have to return to their home countries. Alumni activities will continue and allow former fellows to extend their networks with other alumni and to mutually benefit from their experiences on an on-going basis.
The AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme includes:
- Language course
- An individual German language course before departure to Germany
- An intensive German language course in Germany including fees, accommodation and living allowance
- Travelling expenses – Flights, Visa, etc.
- Visa for Germany for one year
- Roundtrip airfare from your home town to Germany and back
- Travel to refresher course and back
- Programme-related travelling expenses in Germany
- Monthly living allowance during the theoretical phase
- Monthly living allowance of € 750,- (August, September and October 2018; July 2019)
- One-off relocation fee of € 1.000,- for settling back into the home countries
- Monthly salary during the internship in the companies of approx. € 1.500,- gross
- Accommodation during all stages of the programme in Germany (including internet allowance, electricity, water and other charges)
- Health, accident and liability insurance
- International management training courses
- Study tour and weekend seminars in Germany
- Alumni activities
- Refresher course in Germany or Africa, including management training
- Alumni networking activities
- AFRIKA KOMMT! is a practice-oriented fellowship programme. Fellows will receive two certificates. One official certificate upon successful completion of the programme with a detailed description of the specific contents and components of the training and one official certificate by the partner company upon successful completion of the internship.
- In addition, fellows will receive a certificate by the Academy for International Cooperation of GIZ GmbH by successful completion of the professional training in the tool “International Competence Development Journal”.
Candidates need to fulfil the following formal eligibility requirements:
- University degree in a relevant subject (please see individual company profiles below)
- Postgraduate degree (e.g. MBA) is an advantage
- Two to five years of relevant work experience
- Excellent English language skills
- Basic knowledge of the German language is an advantage
- Not older than 35 years and physically fit
- Female candidates are welcome
The AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme aims at highly qualified, self-driven young professionals and junior executives from Sub-Saharan Africa with several years of hands-on work experience, strong leadership qualities and a very high level of commitment and dedication. Besides the specific technical expertise relevant to the partner company, the programme requires candidates to have the following set of general skills and attributes:
- Language and communication skills:
- Excellent English skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- High willingness to learn German
- Professional skills:
- High leadership potential
- Strong self-motivation and self-starter mentality
- High level of dedication, commitment and target-orientation
- Strong capacity for teamwork
- Personal attributes:
- High level of enthusiasm, flexibility and resilience
- Outstanding intercultural competencies
- Ability to adapt to new environments quickly
- Check the general candidate requirements – do you fit the criteria?
- Check the available placements and required profiles of the seventh intake of AFRIKA KOMMT! 2018-2020 – Please remember you are applying for the programme in general, not for a specific placement.
- Please read the application requirements carefully. You will find all necessary information.
Complete the online application.
For more information, visit AFRIKA KOMMT Fellowship.