Call for Lead Researcher at United Network of Young (UNOY) Peacebuilders 2018
Deadline: January 2, 2018
The United Network of Young (UNOY) Peacebuilders is currently looking for an experienced researcher to lead a study into youth-led civic engagement in peacebuilding in Afghanistan, Libya, Sierra Leone and Colombia. In light of increasing interest in youth participation in peacebuilding among donors, policy makers and peacebuilding practitioners, the goal of the study is to contribute to an increasingly evidence-based approach to policies and programming related to peace and security by deepening the the existing knowledge base on the positive roles of youth-led civic engagement related to peacebuilding.
The Lead Researcher will analyse qualitative data, conduct desk-review and write an analytical report highlighting key findings. As well as facilitating workshops on the topics of peer-to-peer research and data analysis.
Position: Lead Researcher
Agreement Type: Consultancy
Location: Home based and The Hague, the Netherlands
Duration: 20 days within the period January 2018 – November 2018
The Lead Researcher will have overall responsibility for the research methodology, process and findings. Specifically, s/he will:
- Develop a detailed research plan.
- Lead a 4-day workshop to prepare the in-country research with one local researcher from each country.
- Undertake a desk review of relevant literature.
- Oversee in-country data collection by a team of two local researchers from each country. The local researchers are expected to conduct focus group discussions with young people involved in peacebuilding activities as well as key informant interviews with other stakeholders.
- Lead a 4-day data analysis workshop with one local researcher from each country.
- Write a report based on the findings of the research.
The Lead Researcher will work closely with a Project Manager, based at the International Secretariat of UNOY Peacebuilders.
- Excellent (qualitative) research, analytic and writing skills
- Understanding, and preferably experience, of youth participation in peacebuilding
- Good knowledge of current academic research in the fields of peace and security and civic participation
- Experience of developing and delivering workshops based on the methodology of non-formal learning, preferably focusing on youth-led research and data analysis
- Excellent written and spoken English, preferably also proficiency Spanish and Arabic
They encourage candidates under the age of 30 to apply.
To apply, please send your CV and a letter describing your motivations for working on this research project and how you would approach the data analysis task to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2 January 2018 the latest.
Applicants are requested to indicate their daily consultancy rate as well as their availability in the application.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
For more information, visit UNOY Peacebuilders Call for Lead Researcher.