Deadline: February 28, 2018
Proposals are invited for the EDCTP Clinical Research and Development Fellowships for individual junior to mid-career researchers and clinical staff employed by organisations with a legal personality and established in sub-Saharan Africa. The purpose of this Call for Proposals is to provide funding towards actions that aim to support researchers and key members of clinical trial research teams from SSA to acquire specific skills in clinical trials research through placements in pharmaceutical companies, CROs, clinical or academic affiliated research organisations and PDPs.
The scheme targets junior to mid-career researchers or clinical staff (clinicians, pharmacists, medical statisticians, data managers, other health researchers) who are currently working on activities in the scope of the EDCTP2 programme. EDCTP supports researchers who are employed by a legal entity in a sub-Saharan African country. Placements supported by EDCTP are for a minimum period of 15 months (3 months will be used to prepare for the placement), following which there will be a re-integration period of 6 months.
The goal of the European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) is to reduce the social and economic burden of poverty-related diseases in developing countries, in particular sub-Saharan Africa, by accelerating the clinical development of effective, safe, accessible, suitable and affordable medical interventions for HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria and neglected infectious diseases.
Actions funded under this Call for Proposals will support the development of human resources and should promote high-quality research and development in SSA. Fellowships are expected to add significantly to the development of the best and most promising researchers from SSA, in order to enhance and maximise their contribution in research institutions in SSA, including training of peers. The actions should also contribute to strengthening collaboration between research institutions, researchers and clinical staff in SSA, pharmaceutical companies, CROs, academic affiliated research organisations and PDPs.
In addition to the standard admissibility and eligibility conditions, the following additional eligibility conditions will apply to this call:
- The applicant must be a legal entity with a legal personality established in a sub-Saharan African country and must have an employment contract with the fellow.(4)
- The fellow must:
- be a post-graduate (MSc or PhD) or medical graduate with clinical and/or research experience in infectious diseases
- have obtained their post-graduate or medical graduate degree within 15 years of submission of the application
- be a researcher or clinical staff member employed for the last 12 months in an organisation with a legal personality, established in sub-Saharan Africa, and who has been conducting clinical research activities in the scope of the EDCTP2 programme;
- provide a letter of support from the home organisation for the fellowship which is justifying the training needs of the fellow and explaining how the home organisation will benefit from the fellowship and how the re-integration of the fellow will be ensured;
- not have been funded under this fellowship scheme before.
- Placements sought shall be for a period of 15 months, following which there will be a re-integration period of up to 6 months.
- The requested EDCTP contribution per action shall not exceed € 100,000.
Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Democratic People’s Republic), Congo (Republic), Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Single-stage application procedure.
- A full proposal must be submitted by the indicated deadline. An indicative timeline for the submission and evaluation of applications can be found in section 2.3.
- The host organisation (applicant) must provide a support letter confirming that the organisation is supportive of the proposed action and willing through its financial and administrative systems to enable the fellow to direct independently the proposed action and manage its funding for the duration of the fellowship.
For more information, visit EDCTP Calls for Proposals.