UN Volunteers seeks Communications Associate at their Regional Office in Dakar, Senegal
Deadline: January 5, 2018
UN Volunteers is looking for a Communications Associate in their Regional Office for West and Central Africa in Dakar, Senegal. This is a UNDP Contract Job with a duration of 1 Year with possibility for extension.
The UNV Regional Offices (RO) provide oversight and strategic guidance to the UNV Field Units in their respective geographical assignments and are mainly accountable for the placement of UN Volunteers mobilized for UN Agencies, Funds, and Programmes focused on peace, development and humanitarian needs. Furthermore, the Regional Offices represent, and strategically position, UNV and bring UNV’s services and solutions closer to its partners from governments, UN entities, civil society and private sector. The Regional Offices also lead in scoping and delivering UNV’s advisory service offer on volunteer infrastructure.
Reporting to the Manager, Regional Office, and with the technical guidance and supervision of the Communications Specialist, the Communications Associate is responsible for content research and production in the regional context, development and maintenance of online presence, and support to outreach efforts and campaigns in the Field Units assigned to the Regional Office. He/she closely coordinates his/her work with the Communications team at UNV headquarters.
Support content quality and coordination for all communication tools
- Ensure correct use of brand for online and print materials and tools produced by the Field Units in the region;
- Implement tools and processes for Field Units to submit content for corporate communications purposes;
- Work with partner UN agencies and other partners at the regional level for the publishing of information on UNV to ensure consistency of content and editorial products;
- Arrange for the translation of materials when required, ensuring brand and quality of such materials;
- Guide personnel in the Regional Office and Field Units on communications formats, design, photography, video and promotional items.
Support in online and print marketing, outreach and campaigns
- Support Field Units in the region in the preparation of media tools and messaging in preparation of the International Volunteers Day (IVD);
- Liaise with Field Units and external partners to ensure continued support during the International Volunteers Day (IVD) and other corporate events;
- Manages IVD event for the Regional Office;
- Collect and analyze data and feedback for final reporting on events;
- Support Field Units in the development of online and print materials for the promotion of outreach events and campaigns;
- Reply to public inquiries and refer queries, comments and contributions for appropriate action; channel queries/comments/contributions to relevant staff members for processing;
- Support outreach initiatives to raise visibility and media interest in the work of UNV and the contributions made by UN Volunteers.
- Have Secondary education, Training in editing/writing/publishing;
- Have a University degree in journalism or communication is desirable but is not a requirement.
- Have 6 years of relevant experience, including at least one year in web content editing/publishing.
- Be fluent in English and French
- Be proficiency in the use of content management systems, HTML coding, photo editing tools and other web publishing tools;
- Have good knowledge of internet communications, marketing and outreach activities.
- Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow
- People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Research: Knowledge of analytical tools, market research and methods for undertaking substantive research on various policy related issues
- Marketing: Ability to communicate the value of a product or service.
- Web Design: Ability to create and design web content.
- Public Relations: Ability to manage the spread of information between UNV and the public.
- Multimedia writing/editing: Originating and/or editing written content for media and the general public to be disseminated through press or other online outlets.
- Relationship Management: Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, Inter-Agency Coordination and forge productive working relationships.
- Quality Assurance: Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled.
For more information, visit UNVolunteers Communication Associate.