Boren Fellowships 2018 for U.S. Graduate Students to Study Abroad
Deadline: January 30, 2018
Applications are open for the 2018 Boren Fellowship Awards. Boren Fellowships, an initiative of the National Security Education Program, provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. graduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests, and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East.
Boren Fellowships are made for a minimum of 12 weeks overseas and a maximum of one year overseas. Boren-funded programs can begin no earlier than June 1, 2018 and no later than March 1, 2019.
Boren Fellowships provide up to $24,000 for overseas study.
In addition, Boren Fellowships can provide limited funding for domestic language study that will supplement the overseas component. The maximum award for a combined overseas and domestic program is $30,000.
- A U.S. citizen at the time of application
- Planning an overseas program that meets home institution standards in Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. The countries of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are excluded.
Boren Fellowship applicants must be:
- Either matriculated in or applying to a graduate degree program at a U.S. college or university located within the United States and accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Boren Fellows must remain matriculated in their graduate programs for the duration of the fellowship and may not graduate until the fellowship is complete.
Boren Fellowships promote long term linguistic and cultural immersion.
- Therefore, Preference will be given to applicants proposing overseas programs of 6 months or longer.
- However, applicants proposing overseas programs of 3-6 months, especially those in the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) fields are encouraged to apply.
In exchange for fellowship funding, all Boren Fellows must agree to the NSEP Service Requirement.
The Boren Fellowship national application deadline is January 30, 2018. Please see your campus representative for your earlier on-campus deadline.
For more information Boren Fellowships 2018.