Deadline: January 31, 2018
Applications are accepted for the British Academy Visiting Fellowships 2018. The British Academy is providing academics based in any country overseas (and active at any career stage and in any discipline within the humanities and the social sciences) with the opportunity to be based at a UK higher education or other research institution of their choice for up to six months. Visiting Fellows will work with colleagues at UK host institutions in order to develop new research collaborations and/or deepen existing partnerships.
The Visiting Fellowships are supported by the Rutherford Fund which aims to help maintain the UK’s position as a world leader in science and research by attracting highly skilled researchers to the UK. Launched in July 2017, the Fund includes more than £100 million over the next four years to support the provision of fellowships for international research talent.
These Visiting Fellowships illustrate the British Academy’s profound commitment to international engagement and to ensuring that the UK remains an attractive and welcoming place for academics globally. It is expected that approximately 60 Visiting Fellowships will be supported under this scheme with the current call. Through the Visiting Fellowships the Academy aims to:
- Enhance and build new links between scholars anywhere in the world and in the UK;
- Foster opportunities and develop future partnerships for collaborative research in the humanities and the social sciences, and enable academics from across the globe to undertake research and/or professional development with UK colleagues;
- Strengthen the UK’s research base in the humanities and the social sciences.
Value and Duration
Awards of up to £33,000 are available. Funding can be used to support: the subsistence and accommodation costs of the Visiting Fellow; research expenses; travel expenses; and a contribution of 50% of the total award to enable the UK institution to host the Visiting Fellow.
Each Visiting Fellowship may last a maximum of six months.
- Open to academics based in any country overseas (and active at any career stage and in any discipline within the humanities and the social sciences)
- Suitable candidates include researchers active within any discipline within the humanities or the social sciences. They may be talented early career scholars who have only recently obtained their PhD degree; mid-career researchers; or established academics with a considerable track-record of achievement.
- Candidates need not necessarily apply to develop collaboration with UK scholars active within the same discipline.
- These Fellowships are open also to applicants who wish to work with UK colleagues in other areas or disciplines (including scholars within the natural, medical, or engineering sciences), in a cross- or inter-disciplinary way.
- Application deadline: Wednesday 31 January 2018, 17:00 UK time.
- Host institution approval deadline: Thursday 1 February 2018, 17:00 UK time.
Applications must be submitted online using the British Academy’s Flexi-Grant system. For further information, please refer to the scheme notes.
For more information, visit British Academy Visiting Fellowship.