Deadline: March 15, 2018
Are you interested in Belarus? Have you written articles about this country in 2017? If the answer is “yes” then Belarus in Focus is for you. This year the competition takes place for the seventh time. The Competition is for competition for journalists who publish about Belarus in the international media.
The goal is to encourage journalists and editors to pay attention to ongoing events and trends in Belarus – political, economic, social, and cultural. By creating a place for exchange and debate, the organisers hope to contribute to understanding about Belarus, and help to overcome Belarus’ isolation.
There are two categories:
- Professional: if you have over 3 years’ experience in having your work published
- Beginner: if you have under 3 years’ experience in having your work published*
*Please note that previous winners/honourable mentions should enter the professional category this year.
- Professional journalists (over 3 years of experience): x3 certificates of 500 EUR for professional development (a journalist trip to Belarus, paid educational programs, equipment, etc.)
- Beginner journalists (under 3 years of experience): x3 certificates of 300 EUR for professional development (a journalist trip to Belarus, paid educational programs, equipment, etc.)
- Articles about Belarusian politics, economy, international relations, culture, and everything related to Belarus will be accepted;
- Articles should be published between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017;
- You can only submit the article if you are the author/coauthor. Entries on behalf of another person will not be accepted;
- You should have permission from the chief editor of the newspaper/magazine/electronic media that published your article (the online form will ask you to tick a box to confirm this).
- Any evidence of plagiarism may result in your work being removed from the Competition;
- It is recommended that you send articles translated into English, which is the main language of the competition. However, jury members will also be able to read your articles in Belarusian, Polish, Ukrainian, Russian, French, German, Spanish, Czech, and Italian and recommend the best articles for translation.
Your article may be about any issue relating to Belarus – politics, society, economic or cultural. The jury will be looking for in-depth articles with fresh, original ideas which contribute something new to an international audience’s understanding about Belarus.
For more information, visit Belarus in Focus International Journalism Competition.