Deadline: February 28, 2018
EmpServe Kenya is inviting youth with already made mobile apps that solve a community challenges to participate in Mobile Apps Social Enterprise Challenge. Under Innovating for Social Impact Programme (iSIP), the flagship project of the organization that aims to building social innovators, EmpServe Kenya has partnered with Mladiinfo International to implement mYouth2.0 (Mobile, Young, Opportunity, Unity, Technology, Help).
mYouth2.0 integrates new learning models in mobile app development; increase youth capacities in new mobile technologies and include global and regional actions that will enable more young people to become aware how the mobile applications can solve local issues in their community and provide employment opportunities.
The project is co-funded by the European Commission as a build-up of mYouth1.0 implemented in 2016. mYouth2.0 intends to expand beyond the achievements during the first edition where 15 mobile apps were developed and participated in competition for European Youth Summit Award and World Youth Summit Award. mYouth2.0 is a partnership project run by a partner in their respective countries where Empower and Serve Kenya, is the representative organization to run the version of the project in Kenya.
- Selected viable mobile apps will get the chance to participate in continental hackathon in Ghana on April 2018 among other 12 winning mobile apps from Tanzania, Ghana, Senegal and Algeria (3 from each country);
- The selected winners will win fully funded online coding courses by udemy;
- The winning ideas at Ghana hackathon will be submitted on open contest in Austria! (EYA -European Youth Award) – under category mYouth, and World Summit Youth Award-WSYA);
- Winning 15 Participants will attend 12 day training on business modelling for mobile apps in Macedonia (Fully Funded);
- All participating Apps will get the chance to connect with global mentors and coaches;
- Opportunity to showcase innovation – The project has very high visibility both locally and internationally;
- Networking – smart people from all over world exchange and discuss innovative ideas and future cooperation on various networking sessions;
- All activities including travels to continental and European camps are fully funded.
- Individuals and/or group co-founders can participate;
- Participants must be between 18-33 years;
- Participants must have regulated resident status in Kenya (citizenship or resident permit);
- The participants needs to have already made mobile app (Beta version, pre-launch version or already uploaded on App Store and/or Google Play);
- Mobile apps need to have a social impact;
- Participants need to demonstrate plans to scale up the social impact of the mobile apps in terms of the reach and impact.
- Participants need to demonstrate how they will sustain the Mobile app and how they generate income
- Participants need to demonstrate readiness to launch the mobile app on or before August 2018
Applicants are to take time to read carefully through the criteria for selection and to research on social impact/social businesses in regards to mobile apps, so as to clarify their business model. Ensure that the information you provide about your mobile app is clear and precise and all questions on the application form are answered to their fullness.
Send your application to [email protected] by Wednesday February 28, 2018. Use the subject “mASI2018, [your app name]” on the subject of the email.
For more information, visit mYouth2.0 Mobile Apps for Social Impact.