Deadline: March 18, 2018
Apply to speak, attend as an observer at the President of the General Assembly’s High-level Meeting on Peacebuilding and Sustaining Peace on 24-25 April. The President of the General Assembly is convening a two-day high-level meeting with the aim to discuss ways to support peace in practice. The format of the high-level meeting consists of an opening segment, a high-level plenary debate, four interactive dialogues and a closing segment.
The high-level meeting will be an occasion for participants from government, civil society, including women’s groups and representatives of youth, the private sector, regional and sub-regional organizations and academia to discuss ways they can support sustaining peace in practice.
About the meeting
The High-level meeting is scheduled to take place on 24 and 25 April 2018. It will open on Tuesday, 24 April, with an opening segment and contributions from high-level speakers with experience on peacebuilding and sustaining peace. It will then be followed by high-level plenary meeting of the General Assembly, where Member States will be able to deliver their statements.
During the two-day event, four interactive dialogues will be held in parallel to the high-level plenary meeting, which will focus on objectives mentioned above and take into account the report of the Secretary-General as per resolutions 70/262 and 2282 (2016) on the Review of the United Nations Peacebuilding Architecture. On the first day, two interactive dialogues will be held in the afternoon. On the second day, the plenary debate will continue and another two interactive dialogues will take place in the morning.
Call for Speakers and Observers
At the request of the Office of the President of the General Assembly (OPGA), UN-NGLS and the United Nations Peacebuilding Support Office are facilitating a process to identify 8 stakeholder respondents for the interactive dialogues, and for stakeholders to apply to attend this event as observers.
Two stakeholder respondents are to be identified for each of the following 4 interactive dialogues through this process:
- Interactive Dialogue I – Sustainable Financing for Peace
- Interactive Dialogue II – Strengthening the United Nations Work on Peacebuilding and Sustaining Peace in the Field
- Interactive Dialogue III – Strategic Partnerships with the United Nations in the Field for Peace
- Interactive Dialogue IV – UN Comprehensive and Integrated Approach to Peace
Cost and Funding
- For selected speakers: Travel funding will be available from the UN to support the participation of the selected stakeholder respondents in this meeting. Selected speakers will need to make their own visa arrangements, if needed for travel to the US, and cover the cost of the visa.
- For approved observers: Travel funding is NOT available from the UN to support the participation of stakeholder observers in this meeting. Representatives not selected for the speaking roles who are approved to attend the meeting as observers will need to secure their own funding for travel, accommodation and subsistence, and also need to make their own visa arrangements, if applicable. The United Nations cannot provide invitation letters to stakeholders approved to attend the meeting as observers.
The candidate must meet all of the following criteria:
- is a representative of a stakeholder organization that has had a long-term programmatic focus on peacebuilding and sustaining peace;
- has demonstrated the ability to engage constructively with a variety of stakeholders;
- is available to be in New York on 24-25 April 2018;
- has a visa for travel to New York, or is able to obtain one for travel to New York without assistance from the UN.
UN-NGLS will facilitate a stakeholder Selection Committee for the evaluation and short-listing of the candidates for the respondent speaking roles to be presented to OPGA for their consideration. The Committee will ensure regional and gender balance, and diversity of constituency and expertise in the overall set of candidates. The President of the General Assembly will make the final selection of the speakers for this event.
- 18 March 2018 – Apply to speak or for Stakeholder Selection Committee
- 31 March 2018 – Apply to attend as an observer
For more information, visit High Level Meeting.