Deadline: March 26, 2018
The Society for International Development’s Washington chapter is accepting applications for the 2018 Andrew E. Rice Award. The Andrew E. Rice Award recognizes a young professional who has demonstrated leadership, innovation, and commitment to improving the lives of people in developing countries.
Each year we present the Andrew E. Rice Award for Leadership and Innovation by a Young Professional in International Development (Rice Award) at our Annual Conference. This award recognizes the achievements of an exceptional young professional working in the field of international development. Previously named “The Truman Award,” the award was established in 2003 by Andrew E. Rice and Robert Berg to honor leadership, innovation, impact and commitment. It was renamed The Rice Award in 2011 to honor the memory and contributions of one of its chief architects.
The Rice Award will be presented at the 2018 SID-Washington Annual Conference on May 31, 2018 in Washington, D.C. While there will be only one winner, other notable candidates may be mentioned at the award presentation ceremony.
The Rice Award will be presented to the awardee at the Society for International Development’s Annual Conference in Washington, DC. While there will be only one winner, other notable candidates may be mentioned at the award presentation ceremony.
The award consists of:
- An inscribed plaque recognizing the awardee;
- A prize in the amount of $1,000;
- A one-year, honorary membership to SID-Washington;
- The opportunity to present your work at an upcoming SID-Washington event.
- Age from 22 to 32 years old.
- Availability to either accept the Rice Award in-person at SID-W’s 2018 Annual Conference on May 31, 2018 or the ability to provide a pre-recorded video acceptance speech to be shown at the Annual Conference.
- At least two years of experience as a volunteer or paid young professional in international development including demonstrating exceptional commitment to improving the lives of people in developing countries.
- The recipient of this award will demonstrate leadership and innovation, as well as tremendous promise for advancement in the field of international development.
- The selected winner will also recognize the importance of international development as a means of service to those who are most in need and will work towards sustainable, people-centered development.
- How have you demonstrated creativity and innovation by developing new ideas and/or adapting successful solutions to problems and challenges, or optimizing unique opportunities, in advancing international development?
- Describe your vision and experience leading people and change.
- What are some qualitative and/or quantitative measures of the impact of your work in international development?
- Demonstrate your commitment to upholding the ideals of sustainable, inclusive, just, equitable and participatory development.
- How have you committed to advancing the profession of international development? (e.g., through knowledge advancement, participation in relevant professional organizations, institutional development, etc.)
Applicants must also submit a three page maximum, single-sided resume or c.v.
Documentation provided in addition to the application form, personal statement, two letters of recommendation, and c.v./resume will not be reviewed.
- Applications and all corresponding materials due: Monday, March 26, 2018
- Winner notified: Monday, April 30, 2018
- 2018 Annual Conference: Thursday, May 31, 2018
Candidates for the award must complete the application form (either online or in print) and may submit up to two one-page letters of recommendation/support describing:
- The association with the candidate and the length of time associated with the candidate.
- The qualities and experiences that make the candidate distinct in the criteria areas.
- Why the person recommending/supporting his/her nomination believes the candidate should be selected for the Rice Award.
For more information, visit Andrew E. Rice Award.