Deadline: June 1, 2018
UONGOZI Institute invites African citizens between the age of 18-25 to submit an essay for this year’s Leadership Essay Competition. The competition aims to provide a space for the youth of Africa and the next generation of leaders in the region to contribute to important discussions on leadership.
“Uongozi” means leadership in Kiswahili, and inspiring and strengthening leadership is the core purpose of our organisation. Based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, UONGOZI Institute is dedicated to supporting African leaders to attain sustainable development for their nations and for Africa. They seek to inspire leaders and promote the recognition of the important role of leadership in sustainable development.
They believe that:
- Leadership is the key to achieving sustainable development
- The development of a leader requires specialised grooming
- An African model of leadership is vital for achieving the most favourable development outcomes for Africa.
A grand prize of USD $2,000 will be awarded to the overall winner. A total of five winners will be selected. The second prize will be $1,500, third prize $1,000, fourth prize $700 and fifth prize $500.
The top 5 winners will travel to Kigali, Rwanda, to receive their awards at a prize giving ceremony to be held during the African Leadership Forum Gala Dinner on 27th July, 2018, which will be attended by senior leaders from across Africa in the public, private and civil society sectors. The overall winner will be asked to read the winning essay at the event.
- Applicants must be African citizens between the age of 18-25.
- The selected winners will be required to travel to Kigali on 25th July, 2018, therefore valid identification and travel documents will be required for this purpose
- The competition is open to all African citizens between the age of 18 – 25 years old, to write about their perspectives on leadership as it relates to financing development and transformation in Africa.
- The essays should be no more than 2 A4 pages long. The format shall be of single spaced, Arial font size 11 with page margins of 1 inch (2.54cm) for each margin, and sent as a Microsoft Word document.
- Essays will be judged on the basis of originality, creativity, use of language and appropirateness to contest theme.
- All essays must be written in English.
The essays should respond to the following question: “If you were an African leader how would you finance development and transformation?”
The final deadline for submission will be Friday, 18th May, 2018 (5pm GMT). The top five winners will be notified via email on the first week of July, 2018. Feedback will not be provided on individual essays.
To apply, go to http://bit.ly/UIEssayBloggers
For more information, visit UONGOZI Institute.