British Council Rogelio Salmona Fellowship 2018 for UK-based Architects and Designers
Deadline: April 9, 2018
Applications are now open for the second round of the Rogelio Salmona Fellowship. The British Council is seeking applications from architects and designers who have an interest in exploring the work of Rogelio Salmona and other architects and designers in Colombia for the Rogelio Salmona Fellowship.
The Rogelio Salmona Fellowship, which follows the success of the Lina Bo Bardi Fellowship in Brazil, seeks to raise awareness and understanding of the important contribution of Salmona to architecture, culture and society; to widen and deepen the understanding of his work internationally, to create long-term connections between the UK and Colombia, and between British and Colombian designers and architects, providing a development opportunity for talented British practitioners.
The Rogelio Salmona Fellowship is a three-year programme organised by the British Council and coordinated by Más Arte Más Acción, in partnership with Fundación Rogelio Salmona, Museo de Arte Moderno de Bogotá and Centro Cultural Universitario Rogelio Salmona – Universidad de Caldas.
While in Colombia, the designer in residence will be offered accommodation and access to a network of key contacts. They will be encouraged to visit all of Salmona’s built projects, to study the archive of his work, and to speak with people who have studied his life. A study of the work of other architects and designers, as well as Colombian culture as a whole, is also encouraged. The residency will be split between Bogotá and the Colombian Pacific Coast, and may include other cities in Colombia according to the proposed itinerary by the selected Fellow.
In addition to any specific areas that applicants would like to research, possible lines of enquiry in Rogelio Salmona’s work include:
- Architecture and citizenship;
- History and memory;
- Environment and nature;
- Craft and materials;
- Public realm.
Applicants must be able to travel to Colombia for a period of 5-6 weeks between 15 July and 15 September 2018 (arriving in Bogotá before 15 August 2018).
The Fellowship award will consist of:
- a grant of £2,500 to cover: return flights to Colombia, a travel allowance and subsistence for a 5-week residency (or £3,000 for a 6-week residency)
- accommodation (split between Bogotá and Nuquí Chocó)
- work space in Bogotá
- return flights to Nuquí from Bogotá
- mentoring, advice and contacts from Rogelio Salmona scholars; the British Council and Colombian partners
- access to Rogelio Salmona archives
- Applicants should be UK-based architects or designers with some professional experience. This opportunity is open to practicing professionals not just recent graduates
- Applicants must be able to travel to Colombia for a period of 5 to 6 weeks between 15 July and 15 September 2018 (arriving in Bogotá before 15 August 2018).
- Applications from practitioners in fields other than architecture and design are also welcome to apply (e.g. art; curatorial studies; history; social sciences or philosophy as well as architectural conservation and restoration; urban planning, architecture or design history or criticism).
Please click here to view and download the Open Call document, which gives further information on the Fellowship and on how to apply.
For more information, visit Rogelio Salmona Fellowship.