FRIDA/FBomb Young Feminist Media Fellowship 2018
Deadline: April 22, 2018
The FRIDA/FBomb Young Feminist Media Fellowship 2018 is now open. The fellowship is an opportunity to gain insight into global feminist issues, receive guidance and feedback from experienced feminist journalists and an opportunity for the writers to have their stories published in a publication that has worldwide readership. This fellowship is meant for young storytellers who have a passion for and commitment to telling powerful and transformative stories about young feminist activism and the creative ways in which youth organizing is happening all over the world.
Are you a feminist storyteller? Do you believe in the power of stories reaching millions? Are you a budding writer, artist or videographer? Then this fellowship opportunity is just the right thing for you!
FRIDA and FBomb will be selecting two fellows fellows who will be required to complete the fellowship in a period of three months. During the period, both fellows will be part of a hands-on learning program, in which they will have a chance to learn about young feminist issues, journalism, writing and publishing. During this time, they will be expected to produce a total of three pieces, at least one of these should be focused specifically on the work of a FRIDA grantee partner.
The fellow is expected to work part time and will be paid a stipend of USD 500 USD for the three-month duration of the fellowship. As a fellow, you will be expected to decide how you’d like to utilize the stipend money in pursuit of your story.
You are eligible to apply for this fellowship if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a young feminist (between the age of 18 and 30) with proven interest or activism in gender based issues in their local, national or in international contexts.
- You are a budding writer, publisher, visual artist or videographer.
- You will have some proven experience and have some sample pieces of your previous work to demonstrate it.
- You may be based anywhere in the world, but should be from a Global South country (i.e. not Western Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand) and willing to travel in the pursuit of the story. Previous experience in journalism, writing, blogging, sketching, designing is welcome, but not compulsory.
- You are proficient in the English language as the writing/designing will be done in English only. (We hope in the future we could offer in a different language). Knowledge of a second language is desirable, but not essential.
- Fellows belonging to marginalized identities–trans*, intersex individuals, gender non conforming, young people of color and people with disabilities–are particularly encouraged to apply.
Send us an email at [email protected] with the Subject Line: “Application for Young Feminist Media Fellowship” that includes the following:
- A cover letter explaining your passion and commitment towards storytelling, and why you think you would be an ideal fellow.
- At least 2-3 samples that demonstrates your writing, designing, artistry and/or videography
Please send your applications latest by April 22, 2018. We thank all who apply, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, visit Young Feminist Media Fellowship.