Deadline: May 15, 2018
The African Union Commission invites nominations for the position of AU Youth Envoy to assist in championing youth development issues in Africa. The Youth Envoy shall be the spokesperson of African youths before continental decision-making bodies.
The African Union Youth Envoy will be assigned to the Chairperson’s office and will directly report to him, while working in close collaboration with HRST Department. The scope and focus of the work of AU Youth Envoy will reflect AU vision and especially Aspiration 6 of Agenda 2063 “An Africa whose development is people driven, relying on the potential of its people, especially its women and youth and caring for children…” which focuses on youth engagement and empowerment.
African Heads of State and Government in their Decision Assembly/AU/Dec. 591(XXVI) declared 2017 as the year for “Harnessing the Demographic Dividend through Investment in the Youth” and called for the development of a comprehensive roadmap with clear deliverables and milestones to guide Member States and Regional Economic Communities on key steps to take, beyond 2017, towards harnessing the demographic dividend in Africa.
This decision was based on the realization that in order to achieve sustainable development and meet the aspirations of Agenda 2063 that envisions the “Africa We Want”, Africa must accelerate and increase strategic investments in its young people who constitute the majority of its population.
It is against this backdrop that AUC developed its youth engagement strategy which recognizes the centrality of young people in driving continental development; the major objective of this strategy being breaking barriers to direct communication with African youth. Within the framework of the implementation of this strategy, H.E. Moussa Faki Mahamat, Chairperson of the African Union Commission, during the 30th Ordinary Session of AU Heads of State and Government Assembly, in his speech at the opening session announced the upcoming appointment of an AU Youth Envoy.
- The Youth Envoy shall be the spokesperson of African youths before continental decision-making bodies.
- He/she shall encourage AU Member States to define and implement youth-related policies at national, regional and continental levels.
- He/she shall also advocate for better youth mainstreaming in decision-making and will promote African core values across the continent and beyond.
- The AU Youth Envoy will also have the critical task to reconcile AU efforts on youth development with the aspirations of African youths, help in enhancing AU response to youth needs, and break communication barriers between the African Union and African youths.
To this end, his/her mission shall focus on 4 priority are including:
This call is open to all qualified young Africans.
- Be an inspiring African Youth with demonstrated commitment to youth issues and to working with youth; applications of young women are particularly encouraged;
- Have demonstrated commitment and leadership skills on youth issues and youth engagement;
- Demonstrate managerial and leadership skills, and be capable to mobilize resources;
- Have had national, regional, continental and international experience, and demonstrate political acumen;
- Be an excellent communicator and computer literate, able to express and amplify the opinions, interests and rights of African Youths in all their diversity at the continental level and to develop and/or rely on communication tools to engage young people globally;
- Have experience initiating and facilitating multi-stakeholder dialogues and processes;
- English, French, Arabic, Portuguese are the working languages of the AU. Fluency in any AU working language is required; knowledge of another AU language would be an asset.
A completed application should include:
- Responses to all critical questions and justifications.
- Up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (summarized in 3 pages)
The application form must be typed and completed in full. Note that they are not able to consider incomplete applications.
Please email to: [email protected]. Subject line for email: AU Youth Envoy – Full name – Country.
For more information, visit AU Youth Envoy.