Nagao Natural Environment Foundation Research Grant Programme 2018 (Up to 500,000 Japanese Yen)
Deadline: October 16, 2018
Applications are open for the Nagao Natural Environment Foundation Research Grant Programme 2018. The Research Grant Programme financially supports academic and scientific research that will deepen knowledge of the nature conservation in developing countries in the Asia-Pacific region.
With the aim of strengthening research capacity of young researchers in that region, grants are available only for individual researchers, but not for groups/teams, to enhance their skills, knowledge, and experience through their own research work.
- The maximum grant size is 500,000 Japanese yen per project for a maximum duration of two year.
An applicant must
- Be a national of developing country in the Asia-Pacific region;
- Be a researcher/scientist, who works full-time or is enrolled in a doctoral course, conducting research at a research institution or relevant organisation in one of the target countries;
- Have sufficient experience and skills in conducting and managing the proposed research;
- Be able to communicate in English;
- Not have another application to the NEF; AND
- Not have another on-going research or publication project funded by the NEF at the time of application submission.
A proposed research project must:
- Be a scientific research contributing to the nature conservation of the country where the applicant currently works or studies;
- Put its main focus on living organisms;
- Be carried out in the country where the applicant currently works or studies;
- Involve fieldwork for collecting data;
- Be applicant’s own research work (team projects are ineligible.);
- Achieve its objective(s) and submit reports within one to two years as scheduled; AND
- Be exclusively funded by the NEF Research Grant Programme, or co-funded with the applicant’s institution.
Target Countries and Region
The target countries in the Asia-Pacific region include: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Kiribati, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, Palau, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, and Vietnam.
The following factors will be considered during the selection process:
- Relevance and importance to nature conservation;
- Originality and quality of proposed research;
- Feasibility of the research design/plan and schedule;
- Reasonableness of the budget;
- Applicant’s past achievements/experience in related research; and
- Recommender’s statement on the applicant and application.
Applicants are required to submit a completed application form and a recommendation letter. Instructions and application form are available here.
All documents (a completed application form and a recommendation letter) should be submitted to the NEF Secretariat by e-mail via [email protected] in MS Word or PDF or by fax (+81-3-6659-2272).
If e-mail access or fax is unavailable, hard copies can be mailed to:
Nagao Natural Environment Foundation
Miyano Building 3rd Floor
4-20-9 Midori, Sumida-ku, Tokyo 130-0021 JAPAN
For more information, visit Nagao Natural Environment Foundation Research Grant.