Deadline: May 11, 2018
The Food & Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) invites expressions of interest for the Junior Professional Programme (JPP). The programme is designed for exceptionally qualified and motivated candidates and provides junior professionals with an opportunity to gain valuable, on-the-job experience with FAO.
The Call for expression of interest aims to attract young talents, under 32 years of age at the time of the closure of the vacancy, with minimum one-year professional experience and relevant educational background to populate the JPP Roster. Qualified applicants who are included in the JPP Roster will be taken into consideration whenever relevant opportunities arise in different FAO’s areas of interest.
The Junior Professional Officers (JPOs) are assigned at FAO Decentralized Offices and are staff members of FAO under fixed-term appointments employed at P-1 level. The JPOs work with international and national staff and are involved in the identification, design and implementation of FAO activities. Purposes of assignments vary and may have a countryspecific, regional, sector-based or thematic focus.
JPOs are supervised on a daily basis with the purpose of gradually increasing their responsibilities through the establishment of a work plan with key results. JPOs benefit from a supervision approach characterized by knowledge sharing, the submission of performance/development feedback, access to Unit/Team/Office meetings and guidance in relation to learning and training opportunities within the field of expertise.
The duration of the JPP assignment is two years subject to a one-year probationary period. Extension for a third year depends on the needs of the Organization, the availability of financial resources and the JPO’s performance.
The Organization, in particular, is seeking for JPOs with a relevant background in the following areas of priority:
- Anti-Microbial Resistance (AMR)
- Climate Change
- Food Security and Nutrition
- One Health
- Academic qualifications: Relevant advanced university degree (Master’s, Ph.D. or equivalent)
- Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant professional experience
- Language skills: Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian
- Female applicants and applicants from non and under-represented countries are highly encouraged to apply.
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
- Candidates are invited to create and complete their profiles in the FAO’s iRecruitment system on the link http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/.
- To complete the application candidates should include a motivational letter and language certificates.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- Applicants unable to provide the above mentioned certificates will be tested through online assessments.
- Candidates are invited to attach a cover letter describing their strong motivation and interest for the position.
- Only applications received through FAO’s iRecruitment will be considered.
- If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected].
For more information, visit FAO Junior Professional Programme.