Journalist in Residence Visiting Fellowship at Albert Einstein Institute in Potsdam, Germany 2018/2019 (Funded)
Deadline: June 11, 2018
Science journalists are invited to apply for a Fellowship at the Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute) in Potsdam, Germany for a visiting scholarship during the academic year 2018/2019. The goal is to strengthen the communication between journalists and scientists and to offer journalists the opportunity to learn more about the institute’s research areas.
The Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute) is the largest research institute in the world specializing in general relativity and beyond. The Albert Einstein Institute (AEI) covers many aspects of Einstein´s legacy: Gravitational-wave Physics, Astrophysics, Cosmology, and Unifying theories. The AEI has five departments and several independent research groups and employs more than 300 international scientists, students and staff members based at two locations: in Potsdam and in Hannover.
The Journalist in Residence will be based at the institute in Potsdam for up to two months to engage with the scientists and become familiar with the institute’s research. The duration of stay will be determined upon mutual agreement. For this scholarship, the AEI guarantees complete journalistic freedom and independence. The awardee will be asked to hold a seminar on science communication at the Institute during his/her stay.
- For the duration of the stay, the Institute grants a social insurance-free allowance (3,500 Euro/month) and the AEI will help defray travel expenses if necessary.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English is required, knowledge of German is welcome but not necessary.
- Office space will be provided during the stay at the Albert Einstein Institute in Potsdam.
- The AEI in Potsdam calls for proposals from experienced science journalists, staff or freelance, active in any media format: print, blog, radio, podcast, etc.
Applications (in English) should comprise:
- A cover letter
- A CV
- Proof of journalistic work in the area of sciences: Three work samples (PDF format). For sound and video files as well as for blogs please provide us with links.
- Proposal for Residency: Please provide a description of the project(s) (max. 500 words) you would like to pursue during your stay at the AEI. Please specify the desired period and length of time for your stay at the institute.
Please send the application (one PDF file, not larger than 10 MB) to: [email protected].
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]
For more information, visit Journalist in Residence Fellowship.