Deadline: May 7, 2018
Nominations are open for the TWAS-Atta-ur-Rahman Award in Chemistry 2018. This annual award, sponsored by the Dawood Foundation, recognizes a chemist living and working in a Scientifically and Technologically Lagging (STL) country.
TWAS has long recognized that prizes and awards provide an incentive for scientists to do their best work, while winning global recognition. Today, honours awarded by TWAS and its partners are among the most prestigious given for research in the developing world. They range from the TWAS-Lenovo Science Prize, which celebrates the very best research in the South, to prizes awarded to early-career scientists already making impressive contributions to their field.
- The award is worth USD 5,000;
- Winners are invited to attend the TWAS General Meeting and give a talk on their work.
- Eligible candidates are young chemists (not older than 40);
- National of a developing country, who have been living and working in a Scientifically and Technologically Lagging (STL) country, for a minimum of two years immediately prior to their nomination;
- All fields of Chemistry are eligible;
- Self nominations will not be considered.
Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Central African Rep, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Dem. Rep. Congo, Djibouti, El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Gambia, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Honduras, Kenya, Kiribati, Lao People’s Dem. Rep, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mongolia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Palestine (West Bank and Gaza Strip), Paraguay, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe
A nomination is considered complete only if includes all of the following information/material:
- Nominator contact details;
- Nominee contact details (self nominations are not accepted) and general information on the nominee, including the country where he/she has been working and living in the past 2 years;
- Authorization from the nominee (i.e. the candidate) to process his/her personal data for the purposes of his/her nomination, in conformity to Art. 13 of the Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003. This authorization can only be submitted through the online platform. The privacy authorization form is available for download in the section ‘nominee’s personal data’. The form must be filled in and signed by the candidate and then uploaded onto the on-line platform;
- Suggested citation (15-20 words highlighting the nominee’s scientific achievements in Chemistry);
- Supporting statement regarding the nominee’s contribution in Chemistry. Supporting statements should explain in detail the work performed by the candidate and its significance in the relevant scientific context. Clear reference should be made to the scientific impact of the nominee’s work. Vague supporting statements will not be considered and will negatively affect the evaluation;
- Clear and detailed account of any time spent abroad by the nominee in the past two years;
- PhD: information on subject area, year and awarding institution;
- Brief information on membership in academies and societies;
- Brief information on awards and honours received;
- List of 10 most significant publications listed in an internationally acceptable format;
- The nominee’s brief CV and her/his complete list of publications are also to be uploaded, separately, onto the online platform.
For more information, visit TWAS-Atta-ur-Rahman Award in Chemistry.