TWAS-Abdool Karim Prize 2018 for Women Scientists in Low Income African Countries ($5,000 Award)
Deadline: May 7, 2018
Nominate an outstanding woman scientist for the TWAS─Abdool Karim Prize 2018. This prize, named after TWAS Fellow Quarraisha Abdool Karim, carries a cash award generously provided by Professor Abdool Karim. It is designed to honour women scientists in Low Income African countries for their achievements in Biological Sciences.
TWAS has long recognized that prizes and awards provide an incentive for scientists to do their best work, while winning global recognition. Today, honours awarded by TWAS and its partners are among the most prestigious given for research in the developing world. They range from the TWAS-Lenovo Science Prize, which celebrates the very best research in the South, to prizes awarded to early-career scientists already making impressive contributions to their field.
- A cash award of USD5,000
- The prize recognizes women scientists for their achievements in Biological Sciences;
- Eligible nominees are female scientists national of a Low Income African country who have been living and working there for at least two years immediately prior to their nomination. (i.e. from 15/2/2016 – 15/2/2018);
- Fellows of TWAS are not eligible.
Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Central African Rep., Chad, Comoros, Congo, Dem. Rep., Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea Equatorial, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
A nomination is considered complete only if includes all of the following information/material:
- Nominator contact details;
- Nominee contact details (self nominations are not accepted) and general information on the nominee, including the country where she has been working and living in the past 2 years;
- Authorization from the nominee (i.e. the candidate) to process her personal data for the purposes of her nomination, in conformity to Art. 13 of the Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003. This authorization can only be submitted through the online platform. The privacy authorization form is available for download in the section ‘nominee’s personal data’. The form must be filled in and signed by the candidate and then uploaded onto the online platform;
- Suggested citation (15-20 words highlighting the nominee’s scientific achievements in Biological Sciences);
- Supporting statement regarding the nominee’s contribution in Biological Sciences. Supporting statements should explain in detail the work performed by the candidate and its significance in the relevant scientific context. Clear reference should be made to the scientific impact of the nominee’s work. Vague supporting statements will not be considered and will negatively affect the evaluation;
- Clear and detailed account of any time spent abroad by the nominee in the past two years;
- PhD: information on subject area, year and awarding institution;
- Brief information on membership in academies and societies;
- Brief information on awards and honours received;
- List of 10 most significant publications listed in an internationally acceptable format;
- The nominee’s brief CV and her complete list of publications are also to be uploaded, separately, onto the online platform.
For more information, visit TWAS-Abdool Karim Prize.