Finance Uncovered Training Course 2018 – City University, London (Bursaries available)
Deadline: June 19, 2018
Finance Uncovered has launched the call to journalists, campaigners and academics to attend their new FIVE-DAY Financial Investigative Journalism and Data Security training course at City University, London. The dates for their next training will be: Monday 17 September 2017 – Friday 21 September 2018
Over a week, you will be shown how to investigate corporate accounts, offshore activity and corporate corruption. They will show you where to find documents, how to analyse them and other practical tools to help uncover financial secrecy. A combination of guidance from senior practitioners and a workshop approach will give you the basis to investigate financial corruption as well as offering the opportunity to network with other journalists and activists.
For the first time, this course will include a hands-on data security module by Free Press Unlimited, as part of the new MoneyTrail consortium which also includes Journalismfund.eu and Oxfam Novib.
The financial investigation section of our course aims to help participants understand:
- the building blocks of the offshore world
- how to access and interpret company accounts
- where to access other company information
- the methodology behind the groundbreaking tax avoidance investigations into Google, SAB Miller and Vodafone – by the journalists who conducted them
- how to investigate and report corruption stories
- the steps required to keep safe and minimise personal risk
- how to track the international policy agenda relating to illicit financial flows
Bursaries are available for journalists from the developing world and eastern Europe. Bursaries cover visa fees, travel, accommodation and per diems for food and travel in London. Due to the limited number of bursaries, applicants will be selected on their track record in investigative journalism. As we tend to be over-subscribed some candidates will be placed on a waiting list for our 2019 courses.
- Open to journalists, campaigners and academics from the developing world and eastern Europe.
To apply please fill in the online application form. Please do not copy and paste entire articles into the form, where possible, please provide links or a few lines summary of the article plus date of publication.
For more information, visit Finance Uncovered.