Deadline: July 15, 2018
Photojournalists and photographers from Uganda are invited to participate in the 3rd Uganda Press Young Photographer Award. This competition is geared towards passionate emerging photographers looking to cultivate a career in documentary photography or photojournalism but lacking the tools to realize their vision.
The award’s aim is to promote the best of today’s photojournalism in Uganda, supporting visual literacy as well as encouraging a new generation of photographers by focusing on photographic education through their programmes. It also seeks to remind the viewing public of the importance of a vibrant press for democratic development.
The Uganda Press Photo Award (UPPA) was conceived with support from the Foreign Correspondents’ Association of Uganda and the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung in 2012 as a competition for Ugandan photojournalists and photographers who work hard and sometimes take great risks so the rest of us can stay informed about what is happening.
- The winner get a Canon EOS 1300D kit sponsored by Canon, as well as the opportunity to participate in an intensive, seven month Mentorship Programme, during which the photographer will have a chance to develop a documentary photography project that, if successful, will be exhibited during the UPPA 2019.
- Open to photographers between the ages of 18 and 25 years;
- Applicants should be from Uganda.
Photographers are asked to submit the following:
- A motivation letter introducing yourself as well as explaining why you should be considered for the award and the mentorship programme;
- A photographic project idea of a long term project that you would like to realize and take on during the mentorship programme. This has to be a realistic and attainable idea as you may have to follow through during the mentorship programme;
- A portfolio of 20 jpeg images taken by you. Anything to the contrary is grounds for disqualifications. Remember – images submitted will speak for you and your talent, so be sure to show your best work.
For more information, visit Uganda Press Young Photographer Award.