UNESCO-CERN School on Digital Libraries 2018 (Fully-funded)
Deadline: August 1, 2018
Applications for the CERN-UNESCO School on Digital libraries 2018 are now open. The European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) will co-organize the “UNESCO-CERN School on Digital Libraries 2018” which will be held in Nairobi, Kenya, from 8 to 12 October 2018 and will be hosted by Nairobi University.
The purpose of the school is to deepen the participants’ understanding of digital libraries, expose new trends in scientific publishing and emphasize a set of principles related to open access, both for data and publications, crucial to promoting open science.
The programme, which will consist of a mix of lectures and practical tutorials, will cover the following topics:
- Overview of open software solutions for operation of digital libraries, in particular Invenio
- Introduction to relevant web technologies and APIs
- Cataloguing formats
- Persistent identifier systems
- Available information resources
- Open access principles
- Operation of institutional repositories
- Opportunities for developing countries
The lectures will be given by information professionals working within leading international organizations, the publishing industry and the library IT business.
The expenses for non-Kenyan participants, namely: travel, accommodation, meals, health insurance and visa expenses will be paid by the organizers. For participants working in Kenya only accommodation (for non-Nairobi residents) and meals will be covered by the organizers.
- The school is aimed at librarians and IT information specialists working with libraries.
- They welcome applications from all African countries.
- Preferences will be given to duos, consisting of one librarian and one IT specialist, both working in the same academic environment, with 5-15 years of experience.
- Spoken and written English is a compulsory requirement to participate in the programme (a certificate of English competency for applicants for non-anglophone countries will be required).
Applications comprised a CV and a motivation letter.
All candidates should send their applications by email to: school.digilibr(at)cern.ch.
For more information, visit CERN-UNESCO School.