Deadline: July 15, 2018
One Young World (OYW) invites applications for the Politician of the Year Award 2018. The One Young World Politician of the Year Award recognises promising young politicians from around the world, who are using their positions to have a positive impact young people in their communities and countries. It is the first award to recognise politicians from around the world and the work they are carrying out and will be an annual prize presented to the winners at the One Young World Summit each year.
It is the first global award of its kind and has been created to counter the low level of engagement in politics and disillusionment with political processes which young people are experiencing around the world. Despite young people increasingly being recognised as playing leading roles in business and civil society, the level of youth engagement in politics worldwide remains disappointingly low.
The purpose of this award is to highlight the work of those young politicians who are using their position to make a difference to the lives of other young people in their countries and to encourage others who are not in politics and may not have considered it as a vocation to do so.
The Award will be presented at the One Young World Summit every year. The inaugural Award will be presented to the 5 winners at One Young World 2018 in The Hague, which takes place from 17th-20th October.
Award and Benefits
In addition to receiving the award at the Summit award winners will receive:
- Access to the One Young World Summit 2018 in The Hague, the Netherlands.
- Hotel accommodation on a shared basis between 17 October and 20 October 2018.
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue.
- Summit hand-outs and support materials.
- The cost of travel to and from The Hague. Your flight to and from The Hague must depart from and return to one and the same international airport.
To be considered for the award the following criteria must be met:
- The nominee must be between 18 and 35 years old
- The nominee must hold/have held elected or appointed office at any political level (local, national or supranational)
- The nominee must have had a tangible and material impact on young people in their communities
- The nominee’s actions should highlight the importance of political participation as a way to effect positive change
This is an open competition which is open to anyone as long as they currently hold or have recently held elected or appointed office at any political level (local, national or supranational).
The Award winners will be chosen by an international panel of judges with first-hand experience of politics. Their decisions will be based upon the work which young elected or public officials have been carrying out in their own countries and communities and the benefit and impact which it has had on young people.
You can apply by submitting your details/the details of the person you would like to nominate.
Nominations will close on 15th July 2018. The strongest applications will be shortlisted between 15th July and 20th July and the judges will decide on the 5 winners by the end of July. You will be contacted individually by a member of the One Young World team after 30th July if you have won.
Please note that they cannot guarantee any applicant that they will be shortlisted. Please note that, due to the overwhelming amount of applications we receive, One Young World is unable to respond to individual emails enquiring about the outcome of the All Bar None selection process.
For more information, visit OYW Politician of the Year Award.