Varkey Foundation Global Teacher Prize 2019 (USD $1 million Award)
Deadline: September 9, 2018
Applications and nominations for the 2019 Global Teacher Prize are now open. The Global Teacher Prize is a US $1million dollar award, presented annually to an exceptional teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession. The Varkey Foundation established the prize in 2014, to recognise and celebrate the impact that teachers have around the world – not only on their students, but on the communities around them.
The Varkey Foundation believes that vibrant education awakens and supports the full potential of young people. Thanks to inspirational teachers, students develop the skills and knowledge that they need to lead successful lives and positively impact the world.
The winner will be announced at the Global Education and Skills Forum in Dubai in March 2019. The Varkey Foundation decision on eligibility is final.
- National and international recognition of your achievements – Special Commendations for the Top 50 outstanding applicants;
- Invitation to the Global Education and Skills Forum in Dubai as one of 50 Finalists;
- Chance to become engaged in national and international discussions on policy and campaigns affecting teachers and teacher education;
- Membership of the Varkey Teacher Ambassadors programme for the Top 50 finalists – a growing, global community of educators working together to improve education standards around the world;
- Potential to win the Global Teacher Prize and receive a Prize of US $1 million.
- The Prize is open to currently working teachers who teach children that are in compulsory schooling, or are between the ages of five and eighteen.
- Teachers who teach children age 4+ in an Early Years government-recognised curriculum are also eligible, as are teachers who teach on a part-time basis, and teachers of online courses.
- Teachers must spend at least 10 hours per week teaching children face-to-face, and plan to remain in the teaching profession for the next 5 years.
- The Prize is open to teachers in every kind of school and, subject to local laws, in every country in the world.
Applicants for the Global Teacher Prize will be judged on a rigorous set of criteria to identify an extraordinary teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession. The Academy will look for evidence of a combination of:
- Employing effective instructional practices that are replicable and scalable to influence the quality of education globally.
- Employing innovative instructional practices that address the particular challenges of the school, community or country and which have shown sufficient evidence to suggest they could be effective in addressing such challenges in a new way.
- Achieving demonstrable student learning outcomes in the classroom.
- Impact in the community beyond the classroom that provide unique and distinguished models of excellence for the teaching profession and others.
- Helping children become global citizens through providing them with a values-based education that equips them for a world where they will potentially live, work and socialise with people from many different nationalities, cultures and religions.
- Improving the teaching profession through helping to raise the bar of teaching, sharing best practice, and helping colleagues overcome any challenges they face in their school.
- Teacher recognition from governments, national teaching organisations, head-teachers, colleagues, members of the wider community or pupils.
The winner will be chosen by the prominent Global Teacher Prize Academy made up of head-teachers, educational experts, commentators, journalists, public officials, tech entrepreneurs, company directors and scientists from around the world.
Are you or do you know someone who should be named as the best teacher in the world?
For more information, visit Global Teacher Prize.