AIMS-Canada Research Chairs in Climate Change Science Program 2018 (Up to USD $970,000)
Deadline: July 14, 2018
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) invites applications for three AIMS-Canada Research Chairs in Climate Change Science to be based at AIMS Rwanda. Each Chair will be provided funds over a four-year period and tasked with executing a world-class research program able to contribute significantly towards building both the human capital and the scientific knowledge base required to solve important climate change-related problems in Africa and beyond.
This Research Chairs Program was made possible by a grant from the International Development Research Centre, Ottawa, Canada and financial support from the Government of Canada provided through Global Affairs Canada (GAC). It is administered by the AIMS Global Secretariat within the framework of the Mathematical Science for Climate Change Resilience Program.
- Each Chair will be provided up to USD $970,000
- Applicant should have a doctorate in a quantitative discipline including, but not limited to, applied mathematics, climatology, physics, chemistry, computer science, statistical ecology, or engineering;
- Significant evidence of excellent, self-initiated and self-directed research in climate change science;
- At least two (2) years of postdoctoral experience;
- Experience supervising Master’s and/or PhD students;
- Ability to take up the Chair by the end of 2018.
- Quality of applicant: academic qualifications; quality of publications; experience in climate change-related research; real-world impact and recognition (e.g. through awards) of prior work.
- Quality of proposed research: relevance to climate change modelling, practice and policy; strength of connection to the mathematical sciences; experience of applicant in research topic; quality of research design; feasibility; suitability of proposed research environment(s); quality and realism of budget projections.
- Potential impact of proposed research on scientific knowledge, practice and policy.
Email the following documents in a single attachment to [email protected] (with the subject line “MS4CR chair application – first and last name of applicant”) by 23:59 CAT on 14 July 2018:
- A completed personal details form
- A completed research proposal form
- A curriculum vitae
- A letter of motivation
- An electronic copy of three representative publications in climate change science where the applicant is the lead and/or senior author.
Three referees should email confidential letters of support directly to [email protected] (with the subject line “MS4CR chair application support letter – first and last name of candidate”) on or before the application deadline. Applicants should provide their referees with a copy of the Terms of Reference for Chairs and the Instructions for Referees.
For more information, visit AIMS-Canada Research Chairs in Climate Change Science.