Deadline: August 31, 2018
Nominations are invited for the UNESCO-Sharjah Prize for Arab Culture 2018. The purpose of the UNESCO-Sharjah Prize for Arab Culture is to reward the efforts of a national of an Arab country and a national of any other country who have contributed through their artistic, intellectual or promotional work, to the development and diffusion of Arab Culture in the world.
Awarded since 2001, the Prize was established in 1998 in collaboration with the Government of Sharjah (United Arab Emirates) and is now at its 16th edition. The Prize fulfils the organization’s fundamental mission of promoting intercultural dialogue by rewarding significant contributions made by two eminent individuals, groups or institutions (one from the Arab States and the other from elsewhere) to the development, promotion and spread of Arab culture through artistic, or intellectual work that enhances mutual understanding. Proposed candidates should have earned an international reputation in their field of competence.
- The Prize is endowed with $60,000 by the Government of Sharjah, which is divided equally between the two laureates.
- Candidates shall be individual, institutions, other entities or non-governmental organizations that have made a significant contribution to the development, the diffusion and the promotion of Arab culture throughout the world;
- They should have acquired an international reputation in this field and distinguished themselves by meritorious actions extending over several years;
- Also, they should have contributed to promoting cultural dialogue and revitalization of the Arab culture.
If you are in a position to nominate suitable candidates for the Prize, send an e-mail to the Secretariat of the Prize (e-mail: [email protected]; tel.: +33 1 45 68 09 66), with the name and e-mail address of the person authorized to submit nominees on your behalf. The Prize Secretariat will then send all necessary information to this person. The deadline for the submission of candidatures is August 31, 2018. The Secretariat of the Prize is also available to respond to any queries.
Each nomination shall be accompanied by a written recommendation, which shall include, in English or French, inter alia:
- A description of the candidate’s background and achievements;
- A summary of the work or the results of the work, publications and other supporting documents of major importance, submitted for consideration;
- A definition of the candidate’s contribution to the Prize’s objectives.
For more information, visit UNESCO-Sharjah Prize for Arab Culture.