Dadi Foundation Challenge Award for Supporting Democracy 2018 (£10,000 prize)
Deadline: July 31, 2018
Applications are open for the Dadi Foundation Challenge Award 2018. The Award is aimed at charities and not for profits who want to harness technology to support democracy.
Less than 50% of people live in fully functioning democracies. Following more than a decade of declining global freedom, the rights of minorities, the rule of law, freedom of the press and free and fair elections are all under threat. They have the opportunity to help shape a paradigm shift enabling truly transparent and accountable governance in an era where we are at risk of more elections but ever decreasing democracy.
The first award will focus on how technology can be used to counter this threat by:
- increasing access to justice
- strengthening civil society
- empowering citizen journalists OR
- equipping future human rights activists and technologists to build and participate in more robust democracies.
- The successful applicant will receive £10,000;
- Depending on their needs winners will be offered the following:
- Access to dedicated technical expertise including, where needed, assistance with user research, open source, agile project management, design and content development
- Tech for Good advice, ongoing project management support and mentorship
- Continued support to ensure sustainability and scalability
- Open to registered charities and NGOs;
- Unregistered organisations that have charitable purposes (e.g. Social Enterprises) providing the funds are to be used exclusively to fund activities, services or outcomes that are intended to further our charitable purposes and are for the public benefit;
- They will not normally support applications from large national or international charities i.e. those with an annual income in excess of £5 million or charities dedicated to issues deemed by the Trustees to be already well funded within the UK or Internationally;
- The successful project will demonstrate:
- A sound understanding of the challenge they are seeking to address
- A clear vision of why and how tech is the best tool to address these needs
- A passionate team with the skills to deliver.
Please submit a short video (max 3/4 minutes) outlining your project. You might want to consider the following:
- Why is the project needed?
- What is the project trying to do? What is the focus? Who would benefit? How? Where?
- What is the tech part? Why is this the best tool?
- How would the funds and support be used?
- What are the intended outputs?
- What challenges do you foresee?
- How could the project be scaled? What would success look like in 2-3 years?
- What experience, knowledge and motivation do you bring?
You do not need to spend a lot of time creating the perfect footage, a simple video of someone explaining your idea shot on a phone camera will work.
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to submit:
- An infographic which explains the tech element of the project to potential beneficiaries
- A brief project outline (maximum 400 words)
- A draft budget
- Information to confirm the identity and financial status of the applicant (including a redacted bank statement, annual report, financial statements and relevant governing documents).
For more information, visit Dadi Foundation Award 2018.