Caine Prize for African Writing 2019 (£10,000 prize)
Deadline: January 31, 2019
Applications are invited for the Caine Prize for African Writing 2019. The Caine Prize for African Writing is a literature prize awarded to an African writer of a short story published in English.
The Caine Prize for African Writing aims to bring African writing to a wider audience using the annual literary award. In addition to administering the Prize, they work to connect readers with African writers through a series of public events, as well as helping emerging writers in Africa to enter the world of mainstream publishing through the annual Caine Prize writers’ workshop which takes place in a different African country each year.
The stories written at Caine Prize workshops are published annually alongside the Prize’s shortlisted stories in the annual Caine Prize Anthology by New Internationalist in the UK and publishers in eight African countries including, Jacana Media (South Africa), Cassava Republic (Nigeria), Kwani? (Kenya), Sub-Saharan Publishers (Ghana), FEMRITE (Uganda), Gadsen Publishers (Zambia), ‘amaBooks (Zimbabwe) and Langaa (Cameroon).
- Winning and short-listed authors will be invited to participate in writers’ workshops in Africa, London and elsewhere as resources permit;
- There is a cash prize of £10,000 for the winning author and a travel award for each of the short-listed candidates (up to five in all);
- The shortlisted candidates will also receive a Prize of £500. The winner is also invited to go to three literature festivals in Kenya, South Africa and Nigeria.
- Unpublished work is not eligible for the Caine Prize;
- Submissions should be made by publishers only;
- Only fictional work is eligible;
- Only one story per author will be considered in any one year;
- Submissions should specify which African country the author comes from and the word count;
- They require 6 copies of the work in its originally published version;
- If the work is published in a book or journal, they would like to receive at least one copy of the book/journal and five photocopies; but particularly where several stories are submitted from one anthology they would like if possible to receive six copies of the book/journal itself;
- If the work is published online, they would like to receive six photocopies.
There is no application form. To apply please send six original published copies of the work for consideration to the Caine Prize office including a letter from the publisher.
Address and post the eligible submission to:
The Caine Prize for African Writing
51 Southwark Street
For more information, visit Caine Prize for African Writing.