Global Surgery Research Fellowship 2019 at the University of Utah, United States (Funding Available)
Deadline: October 1, 2o18
Applications are open for the Global Surgery Research Fellowship 2019. The Center for Global Surgery offers several research fellowship positions within the Department of Surgery at the University of Utah to advance its vision of increasing access to safe, effective, and affordable surgical care to all people around the world.
The objective of the fellowship is to train future surgeons as leaders and innovators, and to give them tools and new ways of thinking that promote increased surgical capacity, high-quality health services research, and advocacy for the neglected surgical patient around the world. The learning objectives of the fellowship curriculum encompass themes of education, research, innovation, and advocacy.
Duration: 12-24 months
- Education: Fellows will have the opportunity to take coursework that will provide a foundation in health sciences research, including biostatistics, health economics, grant writing, and biodesign/systems engineering through the University of Utah. Fellows will be expected to gain experience writing grant proposals to obtain funding for research projects.
- International surgical care experience/research: Fellows will visit one or more of our sites in Ghana, Mongolia, and elsewhere to develop and monitor research projects at various stages of implementation. Through these experiences, fellows will gain firsthand experience in surgical care delivery in resource constrained countries. They will also have the opportunity to design, implement, and study interventions.
- Innovation: The University of Utah is well-known for its ability to deliver cost-effective health care in Utah. Fellows will have the opportunity to learn from University Health and take coursework in biodesign/innovation, engineering process management, or LEAN 6 Sigma though the School of Medicine’s Center of Medical Innovation.
- Advocacy: Fellows will be expected to present and/or participate in at least two international conferences, including Extreme Affordability, Consortium of Universities for Global Health, American College of Surgeons, WHO Assembly, Lancet Commission on Global Health, and G4.
The Center for Global Surgery provides an opportunity for Fellows from outside institutions to participate through cost-sharing. The Center for Global Surgery will provide its top candidate with 50% of funding to match 50% of funding from other sources (e.g., the applicant’s home sponsoring program, personal funds, or external funding).
This funding opportunity is available to support one position and includes PGY-level appropriate salary and benefits, travel expenses, and tuition.
- General surgery residents with at least 2 years of clinical training and in good standing within their residency program are invited to apply for the fellowship.
- The Center for Global Surgery also accepts applications from fellows who have their own funding.
Complete applications will include the following:
- A current Curriculum Vitae. Please be sure to list any international/global health experiences you have had (including date, location, nature of involvement, and supervisor/organization)
- A personal statement limited to no more than 1-page, single-spaced. Please use this as an opportunity to discuss what you hope to contribute to the field of global surgery and how you might benefit from this fellowship.
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one of which must be from your residency program director and/or department chairman
Applicants will be notified by October 15, 2018, of the final selection.
In order to apply for the University of Utah Global Surgery Fellowship, please submit your application and application materials online or click the ‘apply online’ box above.
For more information, visit Global Surgery Research Fellowship.