Applications are invited for the UNHCR Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative (DAFI) Scholarship Program 2018. The scholarship enables access to higher education for refugee students in their country of asylum.
To support their academic achievements and skill development, DAFI scholars receive additional support through close monitoring, academic preparatory and language classes based on students’ needs, as well as psychosocial support, mentoring and networking opportunities.
- The DAFI program scholarships cover a wide range of costs: from tuition fees and study materials, to food, transport and accommodation.
- Applicants must be a refugee with recognised refugee status;
- Have successfully completed secondary schooling to a high standard;
- Have no other means of support for university studies;
- Select a course of study that is likely to lead to employment in the country of origin with maximum three to four years duration;
- Not be older than 28 years at the beginning of studies;
- Have no other family member receiving a DAFI scholarship.
As of 2018, DAFI scholarships are available in 50 countries, namely:
- Sub-Sahara Africa: Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chad, Cote d’Ivoire, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia & Zimbabwe.
- Middle East & Northern Africa (MENA): Algeria, Egypt, Kurdistan Region of Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Mauritania, Morocco, Syria & Yemen.
- Asia & Pacific: Bangladesh, India, Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan & Tajikistan.
- The Americas: Ecuador.
- Europe: Azerbaijan, Russian Federation, Turkey & Ukraine.
How to Apply
- Check in the list above if there is a current DAFI Programme in your country of asylum;
- Check if you meet the above-mentioned criteria;
- You can contact the respective office by emailing your country of interest in the following contact form.
- Complete the country specific application form and submit as indicated on the form.
For more information, visit DAFI Scholarships.