United Nations Environment Programme is recruiting a Communications Officer in Nairobi
Deadline: November 3, 2018
Are you a communications professional with a passion for the environment? The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is recruiting! Check out this exciting opportunity with their Communication Division in Nairobi!
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UN Environment’s Communication Division communicates UN Environment’s core messages to all stakeholders and partners, raising environmental awareness and enhancing the profile of UN Environment worldwide. This post is located in UN Environment Communication Division at Nairobi duty station.
Under the general guidance of the Director, who serves as Publisher for the organization, and direct supervision of the Chief of Section, Digital Strategy and Head of Media, the incumbent is responsible for the effective and efficient performance of the following duties:
- Strategy implementation: Ensure timely implementation of activities related to the media strategy to publicize priority issues and/or major events, to include drafting information strategies, coordinating efforts, monitoring and reporting on progress, taking appropriate follow-up actions, and analyzing the outcome; Ensure effective design and delivery of communication products; Undertake activities to promote media coverage (e.g. press conferences, interviews, press seminars and other special activities) of priority issues and/or major events, to include development of a media strategy and action plan, initiating proactive media outreach efforts.
- Capacity building: Build information networks by interacting with journalists, other media representatives and followers, subscribers, and supporters of media networks; Develop and sustain partnerships with internal and external partners for successful development and execution of UN Environment’s news media strategy; Monitor media, analyze information and prepare reports in order to ensure outreach, engagement and growth of the UN Environment’s media coverage.
- Content creation: Produce and oversee production of media-orientated communication products (editorial writing, news writing, proofing, pitching, placement, etc.). Recommend appropriate information and communication materials for use in media and other communication activities; Participate in selecting the news and media related information transmitted to key constituencies; Maintain and update online media relations contact list/database; Ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media; Act as a News desk Officer for the Unit.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in journalism, communication, public relations or other related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive work experience in media relations, a digital newsroom, editorial production or journalism, some of which at the international level, is required. Experience in the development and execution of an earned media strategy entailing complex research and story innovation is desirable.
- English and French are the working knowledge of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to effective communications strategies; Ability to coordinate and manage complex communication campaigns and events; Ability to conceptualize and contribute to design of communication campaigns that target larger audiences; Shows pride in work and in achievements; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; Establish effective collaboration and partnerships with officials at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocate appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
For more information, visit UN Environment.