US-Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI) Student Leaders Program 2019 (Fully-funded)
Deadline: December 31, 2018
Applications are open for the US-Middle East Partnership Initiative Student Leaders Program 2019. The Student Leaders program offers outstanding undergraduates from across the MENA region an intensive leadership training course of approximately 5 weeks in the United States from June 26 – July 31, 2019. The program emphasizes lessons in participatory governance and the application of leadership skills.
About the Program
The Student Leaders program is a rigorous leadership program for up to 60 undergraduate and graduate students from the Middle East and North Africa. Students are divided among U.S. academic institutions where they develop leadership skills and expand their understanding of civil society and participatory governance and how both may be applied in their home communities. Participants have the opportunity to meet their American peers, engage in local community service activities, and observe and take part in the governmental process on the local, state, and federal levels. The program includes academic coursework, as well as study tours to various regions of the United States.
Upon completion of the U.S.-based program, participants are mentored by the program implementer to leverage their experiences through sponsored alumni activities designed to effect positive social change in their home countries approximately 6 months after the U.S. portion of the program. A competitive follow-on accelerator workshop may be held in the region upon completion of the U.S.-based program.
- All expenses related to the program are fully paid by the U.S. Department of State
- Open to university students between the ages of 20 and 24. They seek a gender-balanced pool of candidates and give preference to traditionally under-served participants;
- While nominees may be undergraduate or graduate students in any field of academic specialization, it is critical that they exhibit a serious interest in pursuing leadership opportunities in their home countries and demonstrate a desire to deepen their civic engagement;
- Students from the following countries are eligible to apply: Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, and Tunisia;
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously traveled to the United States. Applicants should demonstrate sufficient English-language skills to participate in U.S. university-level classes and must be enrolled in and attending a university in their home countries;
- At the time of application and while participating in the program, participants cannot hold U.S. citizenship or be a U.S. Legal Permanent Resident.
Participants apply for the program online and are then interviewed and nominated by Embassies.
For more information, visit US MEPI Student Leaders Program.