Kiplinger Fellowship in Digital Media 2019 – Ohio State University (Funded)
Deadline: November 18, 2018
The application process for the 2019 Kiplinger Fellowship in Digital Media is open. The Kiplinger Program gives fellows cutting-edge training on digital tools and tactics from leading industry experts.
Are you ready to join the ranks of Kiplinger Fellows — journalists trained to thrive in the Digital Age? The Kiplinger Program in Public Affairs Journalism at Ohio University seeks innovative journalists with a strong desire to reboot their digital skills.
Selected Fellows will spend a week at Ohio University’s beautiful main campus in Athens, immersed in hands-on training led by national experts. They’ll focus on using digital and social media to build a stronger following, develop new sources and enhance your reporting. They’ll help you sharpen reporting skills to hold government and institutions accountable. We’ll talk Twitter, deep Web searches, crowdsourcing, public records, spreadsheets, videography, data visualization, and the latest digital tools and tactics.
In 2019 they will host 20 fellows for the week-long training. The fellowship will cover a variety of relevant digital media topics such as cybersecurity for journalists, mobile videography, data journalism and data visualization, social media sleuthing, ethical and legal issues as well as specific topics selected by our granted fellows.
The Fellowship runs from Sunday, April 7 to Friday, April 12, 2019 in Athens, Ohio, home to the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University.
The Kiplinger Fellowship will cover your hotel accommodations for the week, pay for many of your meals and provide you with a full week of immersive digital training. Fellows (or their news organizations) will be responsible for arranging and paying for transportation to and from the John Glen International Airport in Columbus, Ohio.
For journalists working outside the United States, limited travel stipends (totally no more than half of the airfare) will be available.
- Professional journalists from around the world may apply for a spot in this coveted fellowship.
- Have more than five years of experience
- Applicants need to have a command of spoken and written English to benefit from the fellowship.
- Your three work samples must be in English as well. If your work as a journalist requires that you write in another language other than English, you must provide originals and English translations.
- All applicants must apply online using the Qualtrics process, using the link below.
- All applications started must be completed in that time session, so please have prepared materials on hand when starting the application.
- All applications must have a bio, explanation for applying and three work samples.
- Those who don’t meet these requirements won’t be considered.
For more information, visit Kiplinger Fellowship.