Deadline: November 26, 2018
Applications are open for the Open Africa Power Program 2019. The program aims to forge a new generation of African leaders deeply engaged with their countries clean energy future.
After involving 29 selected candidates in the inaugural module of the first edition, Open Africa Power’s second edition, taking place in 2019, will engage up to 60 African students and alumni in a series of professional development and leadership activities, comprising residential training modules in Ethiopia and Italy in 2019.
- African Module: State of the Art
This five-day module will start on January 28 and end on February 1, 2019. It will take place in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The module will explore the fundamentals of the global electricity sector through the lenses of Sustainable development goals. It will cover the following areas:
- Networks technology, regulation, economics;
- Renewables technology, regulation, economics;
- ICT digitalization of the electricity industry
The faculty will consist of local and international experts, as well as employees of Enel.
- Online Module and Exams
The online module Regulation for Universal Access to Energy will start on February 11 and will end on June 24, 2019. This course will enable the learners to gain a comprehensive vision on how to design appropriate policy and regulatory framework needed to ensure sustainable energy for all. Students, after the African Module, will be asked to put forward a research abstract on a specific aspect/solution for the electricity sector in Africa that can become a key element in the race from poverty to prosperity for the entire Continent or for a specific country. The top twenty per cent participants of the course, based on valuation of their abstract and class interactions will be invited to attend the Italian module.
- Italian Module: New Frontiers
Lasting two weeks in June 2019, this module will take place in Italy. Learners will explore the new frontiers of the electricity sector, sharing knowledge and experience innovation first hand. They will be called to actively interact with prestigious academic partners and research representatives, meet with government, business, and non-profit leaders; engage in a dialogue around issues of Africa’s clean energy future; and visit sites where innovative technologies are a reality in the electricity space
- Give Back Module
Upon completion of the Italian module, alumni will be involved in teaching activities related to Enel Foundation education initiatives in Africa.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 24 and 35 by January, 2019;
- Be a citizen of an African country;
- Currently resident in an African country or planning to relocate in Africa within the end of 2019;
- Be eligible to travel to Italy in case of admission to the second module;
- Have at least a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Law or Business from an African University;
- Have an admission letter to or being a student of a PhD MSc, LLM, MPP or MBA degree from an African University;
- Have a demonstrated interest in the electricity sector in the African Continent;
- Be fully proficient in English.
Applications must be sent to [email protected]. Applicants should send in the following items:
- A copy of their CV;
- Copy of their BSc or MSc, MBA, MPP, LLM academic records/transcript;
- A copy of their Passport;
- A motivation letter;
- Three references from industry, academia and/or civil servant representatives.
For more information, visit Open Africa Power.