Johnson & Johnson Africa Innovation Challenge 2019 (up to $50,000)
Deadline: January 16, 2019
Applications for the Johnson & Johnson Africa Innovation Challenge 2019 are now open. Throughout Africa, Johnson & Johnson are looking to drive entrepreneurship and help advance promising health care solutions.
The second continent-wide competition calls on African innovators to submit ideas for innovative technologies, products and solutions that have the potential to create positive impact for African communities. The challenge focuses on identifying scalable and sustainable solutions to six major health and environmental problems for Africa’s population.
- Botanical Solutions: They are seeking naturally-derived, plant-based solutions that tap into traditional knowledge and deliver consumer health and wellness benefits through topical application;
- Packaging Innovations: They are seeking sustainable innovations for packaging of single dose units and other affordable product sizes that will reduce or eliminate waste, while protecting the product;
- Mental Health: They are seeking innovations that create awareness for mental illness as a public health problem and offer solutions for patients, caregivers, and their communities to address these issues.; and
- Essential Surgical Care: They are seeking innovations that promote access to timely, safe and skilled surgical care.
- Digital Health Tools: For one or more of the areas of HIV, Tuberculosis, Mental Health, Maternal Health and Ebola, they are seeking digital tools (including apps and other mobile/web/data enabled tech) for these important health care areas that can inform, educate, communicate and connect people to treatment, support and care through their reach and information and improve health outcomes especially for women.
- Health Worker Support: They are seeking innovations that support the wellbeing and resilience of nurses, midwives and community health workers at the heart of delivering care.
- Winners would receive up to $50,000 in funding and a technical mentoring from some of the brightest minds at Johnson & Johnson to help them bring their idea to life and create meaningful change in their community and country.
- Open to citizens and permanent residents of African Countries;
- Applicant must submit an innovative idea in at least one of the categories.
The submitted health care solutions will be evaluated based on their ability to meet the following criteria:
- Idea submission addresses at least one of the six challenges categories
- Idea submission is innovative and creative
- Idea submission is scalable
- Idea submission outlines how the award would help the applicant(s) reach a critical milestone within the timeframe of a single year and provides a full commercialization plan
For more information, visit JNJ Innovation.