Innovation Square Startup Accelerator 2019 for Entrepreneurs (Fully-funded to Okinawa, Japan)
Deadline: December 7, 2018
Applications are open for the Innovation Square Startup Accelerator (I2@OIST) 2019 – Okinawa’s first global startup accelerator program. They are looking for passionate entrepreneurs from all over the world with innovative technologies that have the potential to make a positive impact on society.
To support the startup and innovation ecosystem in Okinawa, the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) has launched the Innovation Square Startup Accelerator Program. Once selected, you will participate in a fixed-term residency program at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology where you will receive the funding, mentoring, and partnerships needed to launch your technology ventures right here in Okinawa, Japan.
Each year, a highly selective group of entrepreneurs from all over the world will be chosen to participate in a fixed-term residency program at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology, where they will receive the funding, mentoring, and partnerships required to launch their technology ventures right here in Okinawa, Japan. The I2@OIST Accelerator combines talent, facilities, and resources from OIST with the most innovative, global technology entrepreneurs to build startups together.
I2@OIST is a key initiative of the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology and managed by the Technology Development & Innovation Center. By catalyzing startups in Okinawa, OIST aims to strengthen the innovation ecosystem around the university and contribute to self-sustaining economic development in the region.
FY 2019 program dates are following:
- Start date: April 1, 2019
- End date: March 31, 2020
- Awards will range from 3-10 million JPY for each project. The amount will be determined depending on projects.
- Funds can be used for:
- Personnel (salary, benefits)
- Lab supplies
- Contract research
- Travel to conferences and exhibitions
- Lab and office space
- Access to OIST core research equipment and resources
- Connect with OIST research and business network
- Faculty and researchers
- Venture capital and industry partners
- Expert industry mentors assigned to each project
- Professional Training
- Lean Startup Entrepreneurship Program
- Business Planning Courses
- Project Management Courses
- Professional Services
- Corporate legal advice
- Intellectual property advice
- Administrative Services
- Program management by staff of the OIST Technology Development & Innovation Center
- IT services
- Entrepreneurs from Japan and internationally with an innovative technology ranging in Technology Readiness Level of 3-6.
- All technology fields will be considered except projects requiring pharmaceutical/drug clinical trials (Pre-clinical is eligible).
- If selected, founder or team leader must devote 100% effort on the project for the duration of the accelerator program.
- Passion and commitment to the technology and project
- Fit to OIST environment and resources
- Technical merit
- Market potential
- Goals achievable within program duration
- Societal impact (Okinawa, Japan, the World)
For more information, visit Innovation Square Startup Accelerator.