Deadline: December 11, 2018
Are you 18 years old? Are you up for an adventure? If yes, get ready to explore Europe by joining DiscoverEU, a European Union initiative giving young people the opportunity to travel around Europe.
DiscoverEU is an initiative of the European Union based on a proposal from the European Parliament, which aims at offering young people aged 18 years old a travel experience that will enable them to take advantage of the freedom of movement in the European Union, discover the diversity of European regions, enjoy its cultural richness, connect with people from all over the continent and ultimately discover themselves.
Under this initiative, the European Commission is going to select at least 12 000 young people and will provide them with travel passes to explore the European Union between 15 April 2019 and 31 October 2019 for a maximum period of one month.
Selected applicants will, as a basic rule, travel by rail. However, in order to ensure the widest possible access, the project should offer alternative transport modes as ferries and buses when necessary, and taking into account environmental, time and distance considerations. In exceptional cases, and when no other transportation means are available, travel by plane will be permitted. This will ensure that young people living in remote areas or on islands also have a chance to take part in this initiative.
You can only apply if you:
- are 18 years old on 31 December 2018, i.e. those young people born between 1 January 2000 (included) and 31 December 2000 (included);
- have the nationality of one of the Member States of the European Union at the time of the award decision (to be expected by mid-January 2019);
- fill in your correct ID or passport number on the online application form;
If awarded, you can only travel if you:
- start your journey in a country which is a Member State of the European Union at the time of the award decision;
- plan to travel between 1 day and up to one month;
- plan to travel between 15 April 2019 (first departure date) and 31 October 2019 (last return date);
- plan to travel to at least one foreign country which is a Member State of the European Union at the time of the award decision;
- are willing to become a DiscoverEU Ambassador.
Note: If you travelled with DiscoverEU under the first 2018 application round, then you are not eligible to apply for this round.
Young people with special needs are welcome to participate in DiscoverEU. They will be helped with information and tips, and costs of special assistance (accompanying person, dog for visually impaired applicants, etc.) might be covered.
For more information, visit DiscoverEU 2019.