Hungarian Government International Scholarship Programme to Study in Hungary 2019/2020
Deadline: January 15, 2019.
Applications are now open for the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme. Students from all around the world are invited to apply for higher educational studies in Hungary each year. The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme was launched in 2013 by the Hungarian Government. The core mission of the programme is to increase the number of foreign students in Hungary and to encourage Hungarian higher education institutions to attract top foreign students.
The main goal of the programme regarding the education policy is to support the internationalisation of the Hungarian higher education and its constant development, to strengthen the international relations of the Hungarian academic and research community, to enhance the cultural diversity of the higher education institutions and to promote the good reputation and competitiveness of the Hungarian higher education throughout the world. The programme also aims to establish and encourage the personal and professional attachment of foreign graduated students to Hungary and contribute to the promotion of the Hungarian culture and language abroad.
The programme is based on bilateral educational cooperation agreements signed between the Ministries responsible for education in the sending countries/territories and Hungary or between higher education institutions. Currently more than 50 Sending Partners are engaged in the programme throughout 4 different continents.
The Programme is managed by Tempus Public Foundation.
Stipendium Hungaricum scholarships are available for
- Degree Programmes
- Bachelor Programmes
- Master Programmes
- One-tier Master Programmes
- Doctoral Programmes
- Non-degree Programmes
- Preparatory course in Hungarian language
- Specialisation courses
- Tuition-free education
- exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend
- non-degree, bachelor, master and one-tier master level: monthly amount of HUF 40 460 (cca EUR 130) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies
- doctoral level: according to the current Hungarian legislation, the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140 000 (cca EUR 450) for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180 000 (cca EUR 580) for the second phase (4 semesters) – for 12 months a year, until completion of studies.
- Accommodation contribution
- free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40 000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period
- Please note that if the student does not live in the dormitory, then the HUF 40 000/month is a contribution to that rental costs, and in bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.
- Medical insurance
- health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act No. 80 of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65 000 (cca EUR 205) a year/person
The Stipendium Hungaricum Programme is based on effective bilateral educational cooperation agreements between the Ministry of Human Capacities of Hungary and the partner’s Ministry responsible for higher education. Applications will be considered eligible if the applicant is nominated by the responsible authorities of the Sending Partner.
For full time programmes, students can apply from the following Sending Partners:
Arab Republic of Egypt, Argentine Republic, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Federative Republic of Brazil, Georgia, Islamic Republic of Iran*, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Kingdom of Morocco, Kingdom of Thailand, Kurdistan Regional Government/Iraq, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanese Republic, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mongolia, Montenegro, Oriental Republic of the Uruguay, Pacific Alliance (member states: Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru), Palestine, People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, People’s Republic of Bangladesh, People’s Republic of China (including the Hudec scholarships), Republic of Albania, Republic of Angola, Republic of Azerbaijan, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Cabo Verde, Republic of Colombia, Republic of Cuba, Republic of Ecuador, Republic of Ghana, Republic of India, Republic of Indonesia, Republic of Iraq, Republic of Kazakhstan, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Korea, Republic of Kosovo, Republic of Moldova, Republic of Namibia, Republic of Paraguay, Republic of Serbia, Republic of Singapore, Republic of South Africa, Republic of the Sudan, Republic of the Philippines, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Republic of Turkey, Republic of Uzbekistan, Republic of Yemen, Russian Federation, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, State of Eritrea, State of Israel, State of Kuwait, Syrian Arab Republic, The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Tunisian Republic, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Mexican States, United Republic of Tanzania.
For partial (exchange) study programmes, students can apply from the following Sending Partners:
Federative Republic of Brazil, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Lebanese Republic, Mongolia, People’s Republic of China (only Hudec applicants), Republic of Albania, Republic of Belarus, Republic of India, Republic of Korea, Republic of Turkey, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Russian Federation, Syrian Arab Republic, United Mexican States.
Please note that applicants have to be nominated by their country. Only the nominated applications will be forwarded to the universities.
The online application system can be reached here: apply.stipendiumhungaricum.hu.
The following documents are compulsory and need to be submitted to the online application surface by all applicants until 15 January 2019.
- Online application
- Motivation Letter
- Proof of language proficiency and their translations in the language of the selected study programme or in Hungarian
- School certificates and their translations in the language of the selected study programme or in Hungarian
- Transcript of Records and its translations in the language of the selected study programme or in Hungarian
- Medical Certificate
- Copy of Identification Document
- Acceptance of Statement for Application in the online system
Additional Documents for Doctoral Level
- Research Plan
- Letters of recommendation
All applicants of doctoral programmes are required to visit http://www.doktori.hu before they submit their application. The website provides information in English and Hungarian language about the Hungarian doctoral schools, available research field and research topics as well as the supervisors of doctoral students.
Additional Documents for Art and Music Applicants
- Audio Portfolio
All applicants are highly advised to carefully read our Application “Dos and Don’ts” document, please click here to access!
For more information, visit Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship.