London Mathematical Laboratory Summer School 2019 in Trieste, Italy (Fully funded)
Deadline: February 10, 2019
Applications are open for the London Mathematical Laboratory Summer School 2019. This will be held at the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) in Trieste, Italy from July 8 to August 2, 2019.
Postgraduate students will spend four weeks researching a project under the supervision of LML Fellows and colleagues from the ICTP and the International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA). Students will also attend a scientific writing course, and the School will culminate with student presentations of their research.
Summer School supervisors are active scientists and typically choose open research questions as projects. For many students, this is their first exposure to scientific progress in action, where asking the right questions is at least as important as finding the right answers. Previous students have found this experience changes their view of science as an activity and as a possible career.
- Travel to and from the Summer School, accommodation, and meals will be provided.
- The Summer School is aimed at postgraduates;
- Applications are accepted from all countries and students from developing countries are encouraged to apply;
- Students must be able to travel from their home country to Italy and stay for the entire duration of the School;
- Students will be responsible for obtaining visas (if required), travel insurance, and health insurance;
- The School will be conducted in English, so students must have sufficiently good verbal and written English to produce technical reports and give seminars.
Applications should include:
- A curriculum vitae;
- A recommendation letter from the applicant’s current or most recent university (to be sent separately by the referee); and
- A statement explaining the applicant’s choice of project and why they wish to research their chosen project (no more than 500 words). A full list of the projects on offer can be found here.
Applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Documents must be attached in a PDF format and named in the following format: surname_first name_document.pdf
For more information, visit LML.