Mellon Scholars Program 2019-2020 at the Library Company of Philadelphia (Stipend available)
Deadline: March 1, 2019
Applications are open for the Mellon Scholars Program 2019-2020. The Library Company of Philadelphia’s Program in African American History, with the support of the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, is pleased to announce the Mellon Scholars Program of fellowships, internships, and workshop for 2019-2020. These competitive programs are designed to increase the participation of scholars from underrepresented backgrounds and others in the field of African American history prior to 1900.
- The Mellon Scholars Research Fellowship Program aims to promote research in the collections of the Library Company and to enhance the production of scholarly work in African American history of the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries. Fellows must be in residence for the entire term of the award. The following research fellowships will be offered for 2019-2020:
- Post-doctoral fellowship, with a stipend of $50,000 for the academic year, or $25,000 for one semester. Applicants must hold a Ph.D. by September 1, 2019.
- Dissertation fellowship, with a stipend of $25,000 for the academic year, or $12,500 for one semester. Applicants must be in the later stages of research or writing.
- Short-term fellowships, for doctoral candidates and senior scholars, with a stipend of $2,500 for one month of research between June 1, 2019 and May 31, 2020.
- The Mellon Scholars Internship Program (June 2 through June 29, 2019). Interns will be rising seniors or recent college graduates and will receive a $1,500 stipend and additional support for travel and housing.
- The Mellon Scholars Summer Workshop (June 16 through June 22, 2019) is a one-week professional development program. Workshop participants will be students in their first year of graduate study in an MA program or advanced undergraduates. Participants will receive a $500 stipend and additional support for travel and housing.
- Open to PhD holders, doctoral candidates, seniors or recent graduates and students in their first year of graduate study in an MA program or advanced undergraduates.
Application for Fellowship
Candidates may apply for both a short-term and either a dissertation or post-doctoral fellowship. To apply, go to the application page; fill out an online coversheet and upload a single PDF document containing a brief résumé and a two- to four-page description of the proposed research. Applicants for short-term fellowships should also have one letter of recommendation sent under separate cover in PDF format.
Applicants for post-doctoral and dissertation fellowships should include a writing sample of no more than 25 pages and should have two letters of reference sent under separate cover in PDF format. If you wish to apply for more than one fellowship, simply check more than one box on your electronic cover sheet. For general information about the Library Company’s fellowship program, contact James Green via telephone (215) 546-3181, fax (215) 546-5167, or e-mail email@example.com. For more information about the Mellon Scholars Program, contact Dr. Deirdre Cooper Owens, Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application for Internship and Workshop
Eligible candidates may apply for both the workshop and the internship. If you wish to apply for more than one summer program, simply check more than one box on your electronic cover sheet. To apply:
- Go to the application page; fill out an online coversheet and upload a single PDF document containing a résumé and a 2-4 page personal statement describing future goals and how the internship or workshop would further those goals.
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member familiar with the applicant’s academic work should be sent to email@example.com.
- In addition, official undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) school transcripts should be mailed to: Library Company of Philadelphia, Attn: Mellon Scholars Internship and Workshop Committee, 1314 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107.
Following the application deadline, select internship and workshop applicants will be contacted to schedule a short Skype interview.
For more information, visit Mellon Scholars Program.