ARPPIS-DAAD PhD Scholarships 2019 for study at ICIPE in Kenya
Deadline: February 11, 2019
The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), Kenya, in partnership with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) In-Country/In-Region Scholarships Programme and African university partners, invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for PhD scholarships in the African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS).
The primary objective of ARPPIS is to prepare young researchers from Africa to compete in an internationally competitive research environment within national, regional and international research programmes. At icipe ARPPIS scholars are provided with excellent research facilities in an interdisciplinary environment within a structured, three-year PhD programme that includes research, training, developing research partnerships, writing scientific papers and grant proposals, and attending scientific meetings and international conferences. Scholars conduct their innovative research at icipe’s laboratories and at field sites located in various agro-ecological zones.
- The scholarships cover all costs of the PhD program, including travel, living expenses, medical insurance, university fees and all research and training costs.
- The applicant must be a citizen of a country in sub-Saharan Africa. Some country restrictions apply;
- A Bachelor’s degree with a minimum pass of second-class, upper division;
- A Master’s degree taken with both coursework and research in the field of natural sciences or other field relevant to the PhD project;
- The Master’s degree must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application;
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply;
- Qualified nationals of French- and Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa are also encouraged to apply;
- Preference will be given to applicants with a maximum age of 36 years (men) or 40 years (women) by December 31, 2019;
- Additional specific entrance requirements will be considered for admission depending on the eligible PhD project(s) selected by the candidate;
- A working knowledge of English (written & spoken);
- Completed application forms and accompanying supporting documents. Note: please start the application process as soon as possible, especially if some of the supporting documents are difficult to obtain.
For applicant requirements for each project go to: LIST OF PROJECTS.
For more information, visit ICIPE.