CIMMYT Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Applied Agricultural Statistics/Biometrics 2019 (Fully-funded)
Deadline: March 1. 2019
Applications are invited for the CIMMYT Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Applied Agricultural Statistics/Biometrics 2019. CIMMYT seeks an outstanding early-career scientist to join their biometrics and statistics team at the Genetic Resources Program.
This is a great opportunity for a recent Ph.D. graduate to work with multi-disciplinary teams conducting applied research to benefit resource-poor farmers around the world. The selected candidate’s expertise in experimental design and data analysis can contribute to methods development for integrating genomic, remote sensing, and other “big data” into efficient decision-support tools for CIMMYT’s scientists.
S/he will be a member of their Biometrics and Statistics Unit (BSU), contributing to global capacity development activities and research methods development and publications. The position will be based at CIMMYT’s headquarters in Texcoco, Mexico.
- Collaborate with CIMMYT and partner scientists to develop and implement research in applied statistical methodology to enhance the efficiency of CIMMYT or partners’ agricultural research.
- Maintain expertise in the science and application of statistical methodologies in plant breeding, especially experimental design, analyses of multi-environment trials, genome wide association analysis (GWAS) and genomic selection (GS).
- Provide statistical consulting to CIMMYT’s scientist and partners. Areas of consulting include experimental design, analysis of multi-environment trials, multivariate analysis, GWAS and GS.
- Contribute to the development of scripts and tools for statistical analysis that can be used by scientist to analyze their data.
- Participate in the development and delivery of training courses.
- Publish (author or co-author) significant results in high impact, peer-reviewed journals.
- The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds;
- CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
- PhD degree in statistics, biometrics or quantitative genetics with strong background in statistical analysis and computing.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: statistical analysis, mixed linear models, analysis of molecular data, machine learning, quantitative genetics,
- Good knowledge of the following statistical software: SAS, R, ASReml.
- Programming experience in SAS, R or other programming languages such as C++.
- Experience with biometrics and statistical analysis in relation to plant breeding or plant research activities.
- Desire and ability to work respectfully and inclusively in a diverse, multicultural, multidisciplinary work environment.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Teamwork, Collaboration, Innovation and Creativity, Flexibility/Adaptability.
Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
For more information, visit CIMMYT.