Deadline: April 1, 2019
The Tunisia Office of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at Harvard University invites Tunisian scholars to submit applications for a postdoctoral fellowship at Harvard University. The call for applications is open to scholars in the Humanities or Social Sciences who have received their PhD within the past seven years.
The fellowship extends for 10 months, from September 1, 2019, to June 30, 2020. The successful candidate will reside in the greater Boston area and will be required to teach a one-semester course on the area of specialization, in English or in Arabic. Preference will be given to the most qualified applicant whose research includes Tunisia, North Africa, or the Middle East.
- The 10-month salary for this position will range from $47,500 to $56,000 and should cover the successful applicant’s accommodation, food, and visa fees;
- A round-trip economy class ticket from Tunis to Boston will be issued in addition to the stipend. It is estimated that the successful applicant will spend 30 hours per week on research and 5 hours per week on teaching and advising students. The fellow will work with the Director of CMES on the course design and matters pertaining to research.
- Preference will be given to postdoctoral researchers who are residents and/or citizens of Tunisia or postdoctoral researchers who are studying topics related to Tunisia;
- Doctoral qualification should have been obtained within the past seven years in one of the following disciplines: Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, or Political Sciences, with preference given to those whose credentials are from a Tunisian university;
- The postdoctoral fellow is required to teach a one-semester course in English or in Arabic. Priority will be given to candidates with a research interest in Tunisia, North Africa or the Middle East.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit the following materials before April 1, 2019 [12:00 AM, CET]
- A current curriculum vitae, in English.
- A research proposal (statement of purpose) not to exceed 1500 words, in English.
- A writing sample not to exceed 5000 words that can be in English, Arabic, or French.
- A letter of recommendation written by the candidate’s dissertation advisor, in English, Arabic, or French. This letter should be submitted directly by the recommender before April 1, 2019. Please read the instructions below to know how references should be submitted.
Applicants should carefully follow the steps described below to submit their applications:
- Step One (Important): All applicants need to obtain an XID from the Harvard system. The XID takes approximately one hour to “activate”; applicants should allow time for this activation step. The link to obtain an XID as a non-Harvard applicant is available on the front page of the CARAT system. Applicants can complete the application only once an XID is issued to them.
- Step Two: Applications should be submitted exclusively on CARAT. Applicants need to use their XID to access the platform where their application materials should be uploaded. All application material should be uploaded as PDF files, no other file format is accepted by CARAT.
- References: All reference letters should be submitted directly by the recommender on CARAT, exclusively. Applicants can send a reference request to their recommender’s email address through the CARAT platform, while completing their application. The recommender will receive a link to upload their letter as a PDF file (no XID is required from the recommender to upload a reference letter).
For more information, visit CMES at Harvard University.