Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program 2019 (Fully-funded to the United States)
The Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) is open for applications. As part of the Fulbright Foreign Student Program, the Fulbright FLTA Program is designed to develop Americans’ knowledge of foreign cultures and languages by supporting teaching assistantships in over 30 languages at hundreds of U.S. institutions of higher education.
The program offers educators from over 50 countries the opportunity to develop their professional skills and gain first-hand knowledge of the U.S., its culture and its people. The Program is sponsored by the United States Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA).
The Fulbright FLTA grant is one academic year (approximately 9-10 month) non-renewable opportunity. The program is non-degree; if you are interested in a degree-seeking program, you are encouraged to explore the Fulbright Foreign Student Program.
As a Fulbright FLTA, you would be able to engage in a meaningful cultural exchange opportunity on a U.S. university or college campus, while at the same time deepening your pedagogical skills, increasing your English proficiency, and promoting mutual understanding through engaging with American students and getting involved in local communities. At the conclusion of your program, you will be expected to return to your home community, making an immediate impact by utilizing the skills gained and sharing the experiences gleaned from your time in the U.S.
If selected for participation in the Fulbright FLTA Program, you will have the opportunity to spend one academic year sharing your culture and language with American students by supporting an existing language program or helping to establish a new one on a U.S. university or college campus. FLTA duties vary widely from institution to institution – some FLTAs are expected to teach language courses on their own with minimal in-class supervision, while others may be much more involved in extracurricular support of established language programs such as leading conversation groups, participating in community events or lectures, working in language laboratories, or contributing to language materials development.
In addition to duties as a teaching assistant, all FLTAs are required to participate in coursework. This provides an opportunity to increase your understanding of topics related to your personal and professional goals, increase your English proficiency, as well as allowing you the opportunity to benefit from the cultural exchange inherent in sharing ideas with American students within a classroom setting.
All Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) program applicants must be nominated by a U.S. Embassy or a Fulbright Commission; independent applicants do not qualify. You are eligible to participate in the Fulbright FLTA program if you:
- Reside in the country of nomination at the time of application
- Possess the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree with a good academic record; Master’s degrees are highly desirable at many institutions
- Are an early career teacher of English or training to become a teacher of English, or are an early career educator in a related field; prior teaching experience is preferred
- Have a sincere interest in teaching your native language and culture to students in the U.S.
- Are fluent in English, as demonstrated by a recent score of no less than 550 (Paper Based TOEFL), 79-80 (Internet Based TOEFL – IBT), or 6.0 (Overall Score International English Language Testing System – IELTS); test scores can be submitted to IIE by indicating the institutional code 2326 on the day of the test
- Are able to work creatively and be self-reliant while being willing to work cooperatively as part of a team with faculty, staff and students
- Are flexible and have a willingness to learn
- Are adaptable to living in rural or urban areas
- Clearly demonstrate maturity, dependability, integrity and professionalism
- Do not hold U.S. citizenship; dual citizens are not eligible for the program participation
- Africa: Kenya • Mauritania • Nigeria • Senegal • South Africa • Tanzania
- Middle East & North Africa: Algeria • Bahrain • Egypt • Iraq • Israel • Jordan • Kuwait • Lebanon • Libya Morocco • Palestinian Territories • Saudi Arabia • Tunisia • United Arab Emirates
- Asia: Bangladesh • Burma • China • India • Indonesia • Japan • Kazakhstan • Malaysia • Mongolia
Pakistan • Philippines • South Korea • Tajikistan • Taiwan • Thailand • Uzbekistan • Vietnam
- Europe: Austria • Belgium • Finland • France • Germany • Ireland • Italy • Russia • Spain • Turkey • Ukraine
- Western Hemisphere: Argentina • Brazil • Canada • Chile • Colombia • Mexico • Peru • Uruguay • Venezuela
If you believe that you would be a good fit for the FLTA program, you are encouraged to apply here. Prior to making an application, please be sure to notify the Fulbright FLTA Program affiliate in your home country. Here is a list of participating countries, along with contact information.
For more information, visit Fulbright FLTA Program.