Deadline: March 15, 2019
Applications are open for the JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme 2019. The JSPS–UNU Fellowship is designed to provide promising, highly qualified, young researchers with the opportunity to conduct advanced research relevant to the main thematic focus areas of the UNU-IAS, Tokyo in cooperation with host researchers at Japanese universities and research institutions.
UNU-IAS acts as the nominating authority for the JSPS–UNU Programme. This fellowship is aimed at candidates who have completed their doctorates in the past six years and also have professional and/or research experience. UNU-IAS will assist in securing acceptance from host researchers for short-listed candidates. Fellowships are awarded for a period of 24 months.
Research proposals for JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowships should relate clearly to one of the research areas of UNU-IAS listed below, and also aim to be policy-relevant.
The following research projects at UNU-IAS are accepting applications for JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellows:
- Natural Capital and Ecosystem Services Assessment
- Governance for Sustainable Development
- International Satoyama Initiative
- Water for Sustainable Development
- A round-trip air ticket (based on JSPS regulations)
- A monthly maintenance allowance of JPY362,000
- A settling-in allowance of JPY200,000 (based on JSPS regulations)
- Overseas travel, accident, and sickness insurance coverage, etc.
- Applicants must be citizens of countries that have diplomatic relations with Japan. Japanese nationals are not eligible, nor are those of dual nationality if one is Japanese. Also, those who have permanent residency in Japan are not eligible;
- Applicants must hold a doctorate received on or after April 2, 2013 (i.e., the degree must have been received within six years prior to April 1, 2019), when the fellowship begins or be scheduled to receive doctorate before the fellowship begins;
- Applicants with at least 10 months research and/or professional experience are especially encouraged to apply;
- Those who have previously been awarded a Standard or Pathway Fellowship under the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Research in Japan scheme are not eligible.
Interested and eligible candidates are invited to submit a completed application form and supporting documents to [email protected]
If an applicant does not have access to the Internet, he or she should contact UNU-IAS. The form and the required documents indicated in the form must be in English. If supporting documents are not in English, English translations must be attached.
For more information, visit JSPS–UNU Postdoctoral Fellowship.