Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago Barjeel Global Fellowship 2019 (stipend of $45,000)
Deadline: March 15, 2019
The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago is now accepting applications for the new Barjeel Global Fellowship 2019, offered in collaboration with the Barjeel Art Foundation.
This exciting opportunity serves as an opportunity for budding international curators to learn and work in a pioneering, globally-focused American institution and invites a young, new perspective from the Middle East and/or North Africa regions to the MCA. The fellow will engage in exhibition- and/or collection-related research, write reports on possible acquisitions, and help curators plan and organize exhibitions and programming.
- The fellowship carries a stipend of $45,000 (inclusive of $10,000 for housing support);
- J-1 visa costs, if applicable, will be covered by the MCA;
- The position is also eligible for a generous benefits package that includes:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance;
- Paid vacation and personal days;
- Free life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability insurance;
- Retirement plans; discounted parking;
- Pre-tax transportation programs;
- Free access to the MCA’s galleries;
- Curator-led staff tours of MCA exhibitions;
- Discounts at the MCA Store and MCA restaurant Marisol; discounts for MCA Stage and other programs; and a variety of discounts at many cultural institutions in the Chicagoland area.
- Open to exceptional candidates who originate from the Middle East and/or North Africa with backgrounds in art history, museum studies, and related fields whose work demonstrates a strong emphasis on art historical research and methodology;
- Qualified applicants must possess a Master of Arts degree or be in their final year of graduate work;
- Candidates must also possess two years of museum experience and/or research position at the college or university level;
- Demonstrated commitment to the field of contemporary art through writing, curating or other activities is also required;
- Evidence of self-directed curatorial work or critical writing is a plus, and candidates should exhibit strong communication skills and a readiness to express their intellect and point of view.
The following materials, including writing samples and other supplementary materials are required for application and will not be returned to candidates.
- A cover letter that includes the name, current and permanent addresses, and telephone numbers of the applicant
- A full resume of education and employment history
- An essay describing the applicant’s interest in this fellowship and museum work
- Two writing samples—each individual writing sample should not exceed 2,000 words
Application materials should be sent to: Barjeel@mcachicago.org
For more information, visit Barjeel Global Fellowship.