Volvo Environment Prize 2020 for Environmental Scientists (SEK 1.5 million prize)
Deadline: January 10, 2020
The Volvo Environment Prize 2019 is open. The Volvo Environment Prize is awarded for outstanding innovations or scientific discoveries which in broad terms fall within the environmental field. Since the first award in 1990 the Volvo Environment Prize has become one of the scientific world’s most respected environmental prizes.
The Volvo Environment Prize is awarded by an independent foundation. A Scientific Committee does the initial screening and evaluation of candidates. The International Prize Jury, a group of internationally renowned scientists, makes the final selection of prize laureate.
The Volvo Environment Prize is awarded annually. The Prize consists of a hand-crafted diploma, a glass sculpture and a cash award for SEK 1.5 million (approximately EUR 145,000 or USD 167,000).
The award ceremony is in Stockholm in November each year.
- The span of disciplines and activities for which nominations can be made is wide and includes all disciplines which have relevance to the environment.
- The research of nominees should be based on scientific grounds but must clearly show impacts outside of the specific discipline.
Nominations for the award in 2020 must be submitted before January 10, 2020.
Nominations must include the following:
- A short letter of motivation
- A detailed description of the research the nominee has conducted and how it adds to our knowledge around environmental science. Main achievements and their importance should be emphasized.
Emphasis must also be placed on the impacts of the research outside of the particular discipline e.g. impacts on policy development, impacts on sustainability and/or contribution to changed behaviour.
- CV of the nominee + list of published paper/s and links if available.
- Letter/s of reference. Maximum 3 letters written by someone other than the nominator.
- Nominations should be submitted in English using the official form available at www.environment-prize.com. When not feasible, please contact the secretariat firstname.lastname@example.org
- When submitting nominations for a group of named individuals please send one nomination for each person (maximum 3 persons) and specify in the description of achievements that the nomination is for a shared prize.
- A nomination remains valid for three years.
- Please note that self-nominations are not accepted.
If you prefer you may send the nomination by post to:
The Volvo Environment Prize Foundation
c/o Christina Leijonhufvud
The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
SE-104 05 Stockholm, Sweden
For more information, visit Volvo Environment Prize.